Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need to find a cnc machine for prototyping. Any suggestions?

I need to find a cnc machine that I can use to create prototypes. Our
company already has many cnc machines but these are large, designed for
production purposes, have all the bells and whistles on them and
require very skilled workers.

My department often needs to have a piece of plastic milled out, holes
drilled - all the basic things you would do with virtually all cnc
machines. My department does everything from designing electronic
ciruits to building prototypes of products, so we are not cnc skilled
people.

What I am looking for is a cnc machine that is relatively small. It
should either sit on a bench or desktop or on its own table that can be
carted around. It should allow me to mill out surfaces and drill holes.
It should either come with software that I can use to create 2D parts.
I'm not interested in milling 3D. If it gets that complex, then it can
be done on our production machines. It would be nice if the Z axis can
move up and down at some variable speed for drilling holes, depending
on the material to be cut.

In summary, the cnc machine should be simple and can be programmed by
someone not skilled as a cnc operator.

A friend of mine says that cnc machines out of Taiwan are pretty good
and low cost (relative to other countries). Any suggestions on
manufacturers?

Thanks
Johann

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Werby

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

[How big a part are you going to be producing with this? It's sounding like
a router might be more useful to you than a mill. For sheet goods, look for
one with a vacuum table to hold the work. There's plenty of inexpensive 2d
software out there, I don't think you need to insist on it being provided by
the machine vendor. Plug "Free 2d CAD" into Google and you get over 800
pages. Try a few and see which one suits you. You might look at SheetCAM for
your toolpaths; it's simple and inexpensive. I've heard various things about
Taiwan-branded mills (the ones that get shipped over here, anyway) not all
of them complimentary...]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Replogle

wrote:
[...]

Go to: alt.machines.cnc

Randy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Haas Office Mill.
Cheap, as cnc goes. Small. Clean and neat. Made in the USA, but sold
and serviced around the world- 15% or so of their production is being
sold in China these days. Good resale value, good reputation, commonly
used, so many people are familar with them.
Easy to program.
A real milling machine, not a router. A router is fine for plastic, but
if you want versatility, you want a milling machine.

http://www.haascnc.com/VMC_MODEL_OM.asp#VMCTreeModel

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JimInsolo

For a good versatile lathe and mill with cnc try www.shoptask.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Self-Reproducing Machine Tools Doug Goncz Metalworking 17 July 13th 17 05:57 AM
kms kuba sewing machinery UK diy 0 April 5th 06 09:20 AM
kms kuba sewing machinery UK diy 0 April 5th 06 09:19 AM
Quantum Mechanics and Self-Replicating Machines Doug Goncz Metalworking 34 September 17th 03 04:06 PM
Zanussi washing machine - blown program selector Mat UK diy 1 July 9th 03 01:09 AM