Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat question

Hello. I have 2 seperate furnaces, a wood burner and fuel oil, that are
controlled with 2 seperate thermostats. I was wondering if there are any
companies that sell a thermostat that can control both furnaces? I want to
be able to set the wood burner at 70 degrees, and the set the fuel oil at 67
degrees. That way if the wood burner runs out of wood or goes out, the fuel
oil will kick on and keep the house from getting too cold. If there aren't
any companies that sell this type of thermostat, does anyone know if and how
you can modify a regular digital thermostat? If anyone can please help, I
would greatly appreciate it! TIA!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 3:13 pm, "prestocat" u39478@uwe wrote:
Hello. I have 2 seperate furnaces, a wood burner and fuel oil, that are
controlled with 2 seperate thermostats. I was wondering if there are any
companies that sell a thermostat that can control both furnaces? I want to
be able to set the wood burner at 70 degrees, and the set the fuel oil at 67
degrees. That way if the wood burner runs out of wood or goes out, the fuel
oil will kick on and keep the house from getting too cold. If there aren't
any companies that sell this type of thermostat, does anyone know if and how
you can modify a regular digital thermostat? If anyone can please help, I
would greatly appreciate it! TIA!!!!!

You need a thermostat with two set points. .
try http://www.thermostatshop.com/index.shtml
or just call:
ThermostatShop.com
751 Laurel Street
Suite 345
San Carlos, CA 94070
Phone: 650-591-2621 or Toll Free: 1-877-RUN-HVAC
Fax: 1-650 585-5478

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 7bf6018feb653@uwe, "prestocat" u39478@uwe wrote:
Hello. I have 2 seperate furnaces, a wood burner and fuel oil, that are
controlled with 2 seperate thermostats. I was wondering if there are any
companies that sell a thermostat that can control both furnaces? I want to
be able to set the wood burner at 70 degrees, and the set the fuel oil at 67
degrees.

So set them like that. What's the problem?

That way if the wood burner runs out of wood or goes out, the fuel
oil will kick on and keep the house from getting too cold.

So set the thermostat for the fuel oil furnace at 67, and the thermostat for
the wood burner at 70. As long as the wood burner is keeping the temperature
at 70 (or, in fact, anywhere above 67), the oil furnace will never come on.

If there aren't
any companies that sell this type of thermostat, does anyone know if and how
you can modify a regular digital thermostat? If anyone can please help, I
would greatly appreciate it! TIA!!!!!

Why do you want to make this more complicated and expensive than it needs to
be? What do you expect to gain from having a single thermostat, that you don't
already have with two?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

What do you expect to gain from having a single thermostat, that you
don't
already have with two?

The ability to have no heat at all if the single thermostat craps out on a
cold January night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:13:58 GMT, "prestocat" u39478@uwe wrote:

Hello. I have 2 seperate furnaces, a wood burner and fuel oil, that are
controlled with 2 seperate thermostats. I was wondering if there are any
companies that sell a thermostat that can control both furnaces? I want to
be able to set the wood burner at 70 degrees, and the set the fuel oil at 67
degrees. That way if the wood burner runs out of wood or goes out, the fuel
oil will kick on and keep the house from getting too cold. If there aren't
any companies that sell this type of thermostat, does anyone know if and how
you can modify a regular digital thermostat? If anyone can please help, I
would greatly appreciate it! TIA!!!!!

Would that be anything like a heap-pump thermostat, that can turn on
auxiliary hear it the temperature drops too much?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"
Posted to alt.home.repair

prestocat wrote:
Hello. I have 2 seperate furnaces, a wood burner and fuel oil, that are
controlled with 2 seperate thermostats. I was wondering if there are any
companies that sell a thermostat that can control both furnaces? I want to
be able to set the wood burner at 70 degrees, and the set the fuel oil at 67
degrees. That way if the wood burner runs out of wood or goes out, the fuel
oil will kick on and keep the house from getting too cold. If there aren't
any companies that sell this type of thermostat, does anyone know if and how
you can modify a regular digital thermostat? If anyone can please help, I
would greatly appreciate it! TIA!!!!!

The thermostats that I have now are really old, probably 50 + years old, and
I want to replace them. I didn't want to have to buy two new ones, if I
could find one that would control both furnaces. By the way, I've owned this
house for 1 year, and I've been setting the thermostats the way you are all
describing to set them. I would like to thank the people who have been
trying to help, but I can't believe the ridicule from others.

Thermostat question [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 24th 07 02:25 AM
Thermostat question Ronald' Home Repair 18 February 1st 07 11:41 PM
thermostat question I Podius UK diy 2 December 15th 06 09:33 PM
Thermostat question. Steve Thrasher Home Repair 8 February 13th 06 02:26 AM
Thermostat question Gary Stone Home Repair 16 February 8th 05 02:20 AM