Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can a pipe act as a heater?

Hi,

My bathroom is too small for a radiator so I'm looking for alternative
solutions.

On my visits to Europe I notice that they have exposed pipes that run
along the walls and are hot. I think those are pipes that deliver hot
water to the radiators.

Would that be a viable solution and does there exist an aesthetically
attractive version of it in the US?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

My bathroom is too small for a radiator so I'm looking for alternative
solutions.

On my visits to Europe I notice that they have exposed pipes that run
along the walls and are hot. I think those are pipes that deliver hot
water to the radiators.

Would that be a viable solution and does there exist an aesthetically
attractive version of it in the US?

Thanks!

use brass pipe?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

My bathroom is too small for a radiator so I'm looking for alternative
solutions.

On my visits to Europe I notice that they have exposed pipes that run
along the walls and are hot. I think those are pipes that deliver hot
water to the radiators.

Would that be a viable solution and does there exist an aesthetically
attractive version of it in the US?

Finned pipe/tube is certainly made in the US. It might not be
easy to find a small quantity retail. Also, most is used for
industrial applications and for greenhouses. I doubt that
it will be pretty. And, if the bathroom is that small,
I'm not sure you'll have a sufficiently long run of pipe
to significantly raise the temperature of the room.

You might want to think about a ceiling mounted electrical
heater. It's much more standard and it will be much easier
to avoid running into any code violation problems. Probably
a lot less costly to buy and install. Although they consume
a fair amount of power, they're normally only switched on
for very short periods.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

My bathroom is too small for a radiator so I'm looking for alternative
solutions.

On my visits to Europe I notice that they have exposed pipes that run
along the walls and are hot. I think those are pipes that deliver hot
water to the radiators.

Would that be a viable solution and does there exist an aesthetically
attractive version of it in the US?

Get an in-wall heater, and plumb the heating pipes to that.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 7:20 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

My bathroom is too small for a radiator so I'm looking for alternative
solutions.

On my visits to Europe I notice that they have exposed pipes that run
along the walls and are hot. I think those are pipes that deliver hot
water to the radiators.

Would that be a viable solution and does there exist an aesthetically
attractive version of it in the US?

Thanks!

Aaron-

How much heat do you need? US location?

Do you already have hot water heat in the rest of the house?

You could solder something up out of copper tube but you'd need to be
careful of the burn hazard.

They make chrome plated brass tube as well

Depnds on how much effort you want to put into this, you could
integrate this into the towel rack arrangement...heat the bathroom &
the towels

Electric heat is easy

www.mcmaster.com

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just drill a hole thru one of the studs in the wall, the entire length
of the 2x4. Run the hot water thru the hole. LOL

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:40:33 -0800 (PST), BobK207
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

My bathroom is too small for a radiator so I'm looking for alternative
solutions.

On my visits to Europe I notice that they have exposed pipes that run
along the walls and are hot. I think those are pipes that deliver hot
water to the radiators.

Would that be a viable solution and does there exist an aesthetically
attractive version of it in the US?

Thanks!

Plain pipe is not going to give off much heat. Finned pipe, such as in
baseboard heat, will give off much more as air convects over the fins.
Although most efficient installed horizontal, it will still radiate heat in
other directions too. If you have room for a pipe, you have room for a
finned pipe. Just buy a section of baseboard heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

If you noticed, in Europe, they use pressed metal radiators for hot water
heating retrofits where their living spaces are quite small. These radiators
mount on the wall and only protrude a small amount. Possibly you
should/could research a source of this type of rad for your bathroom. I do
not know if they are readily available in North America so it may take some
work to locate one.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

My bathroom is too small for a radiator so I'm looking for alternative
solutions.

On my visits to Europe I notice that they have exposed pipes that run
along the walls and are hot. I think those are pipes that deliver hot
water to the radiators.

Would that be a viable solution and does there exist an aesthetically
attractive version of it in the US?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Aaron Fude :

My bathroom is too small for a radiator so I'm looking for alternative
solutions.

On my visits to Europe I notice that they have exposed pipes that run
along the walls and are hot. I think those are pipes that deliver hot
water to the radiators.

If these don't have fins, I think you're just seeing surface-mounted
supply pipes for the real radiators. The pipes don't deliver much
real heat - the radiators do.

If you're seeing them in a rack-like arrangement in bathrooms, they're
towel warmers. Sometimes they're in-line with the hot water radiators,
and other times they're inline with the hot water supply to the bathroom
fixtures. The latter heats only when you're using hot water - throw the
towel on the rack, have a shower, and voila, warm towels. Sometimes
they're electric heaters, not hot water.

Towel warmers are becoming more popular in North America, but they're
usually 120v plug-in devices that either mount on the wall or
are free-standing racks.

Electric towel warms don't consume that much power. We have one -
it's only 60W.

If you get stuck looking for a slim-line hot water radiator, you
might want to look into wall mount electric heaters. Either in-wall
fan heaters, or surface mount ones. The surface mount ones protrude
2" or less.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 9:20 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

My bathroom is too small for a radiator so I'm looking for alternative
solutions.

On my visits to Europe I notice that they have exposed pipes that run
along the walls and are hot. I think those are pipes that deliver hot
water to the radiators.

Would that be a viable solution and does there exist an aesthetically
attractive version of it in the US?

Thanks!

In my house, which has the old-fashioned cast-iron radiators, most of
the radiators are short (roughly knee-high) but the one in the
bathroom is taller (chest-high), but with a very small footprint,
maybe 18 inches wide and a foot deep. So one option would be to look
for a small-footprint radiator like that. Another would be to use a
baseboard radiator, they run along a wall at the floor, maybe 10
inches tall, 3 or 4 inches deep, by however long you want. I know you
said "there's no room for a radiator" but just trying to present some
options. How was the bathroom heated before? -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

My bathroom is too small for a radiator so I'm looking for alternative
solutions.

On my visits to Europe I notice that they have exposed pipes that run
along the walls and are hot. I think those are pipes that deliver hot
water to the radiators.

Would that be a viable solution and does there exist an aesthetically
attractive version of it in the US?

Thanks!

You could make one out of copper for a few $. In fact, a little creative
sweating and you could create a pretty nifty room warmer that could double
as a towel warmer for those mornings stepping out of the shower. Running
the shower would heat the pipes, room and towels.

If you don't run the hot water for a while, the pipes (and room?) might cool
down, tho.

Wait, let me patent that idea! ;-)