Posted to alt.home.repair

Default SHOULD THE REGULAR POSTERS OF THIS GROUP MOVE?

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:52:08 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote in message
SHOULD THE REGULAR POSTERS OF THIS GROUP MOVE?

To be rid of the spammers and sex stuff?

If enough are interested I could try to find a format somewhere. I
miss what this group was

the new home wouldnt allow spammers

It's easy to NOT LOOK at the spam. I don't like it, but this "format" is
still preferable to some of the cob job discussion boards people design.

I find usenet definitely preferable to web forums (which are slow,
personal information collectors, and each one works differently). You
don't get to use your preferred program.

BTW, The same seems true for web email.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:28:47 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

To be rid of the spammers and sex stuff?

If you don't know how to use filters, or can't recognize and pass on headers
such as:

LIVE SEX MOVIES WITH GOATS

You need to pile your computer stuff in a box and sell it. You're too
stupid to own a computer.

STeve

You could set up a filter on:

LIVE SEX MOVIES WITH GOATS

which won't help with

LiVE S.EX MoV,IES WI^TH GO'AtS!!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

To be rid of the spammers and sex stuff?

If you don't know how to use filters, or can't recognize and pass on headers
such as:

LIVE SEX MOVIES WITH GOATS

You need to pile your computer stuff in a box and sell it. You're too
stupid to own a computer.

STeve

You could set up a filter on:

LIVE SEX MOVIES WITH GOATS

which won't help with

LiVE S.EX MoV,IES WI^TH GO'AtS!!!!!!

Here's what I find funny about spammers. They devise ways to get
around the filters that people put in place, as if the fact that they
got through is going to make the user visit their site.

e.g. the example given: I block goats, they change it to go'ats. What
do they expect? I'm suddenly going to say "Hey...go'ats...now that's
different. I think I'll check it out."

I can *possibly* understand their goal of getting around corporate
filters to get to the idiots who want to look at go'ats during working
hours, but come on...is it really worth the effort to get to the few
idiots they might reach? Don't bother ...I already know the answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 11:05 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"terry" wrote

No. Leave it the way it is. Warts and all!

I agree. I don't want to converse with someone too immature or
inexperienced to figure out how to work a filter or ignore a twit.

BLOCK SENDER works for me. I have a three strike rule. Unless one says
something so offensive that they're out after the first strike, that is.

Other than that, it's so simple a caveman could do it.

Steve

You know, I find THIS pretty offensive. I don't think I particularly
want to converse with someone this arrogant and inconsiderate.

But I agree that ignoring the spam works for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 20:13:27 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

wrote:
(snip)

Years ago, I created a few web pages. Just simple text with a few
pictures and a nice looking background image. Hi-tech meant adding a
few animated .GIF files, and soem scrolling text used sparcely. The
sites loaded quick, did not need lots of power and software, and they
got the message across just as well as all these bloated sites they
have now.

Of course there are still those nervous credit cards. You know, the
ones that shake back and forth (animated gif). I never understood the
point to that. But I do know if I started trembling that much when I
pulled out my credit card, I either have a stolen card, or I'm going
much too far into debt. Whoever made that animation really lacks
artistic creativity.....

'Nervous credit cards'. I love it!

About the only thing I'm using Proxomitron for now is to disable
animated GIFs. These are annoying and make it harder to read the page.

Preaching to the choir on the showoff web sites with all the useless eye
candy- I hate those things, even though I finally have a decent
connection. Any vendor web site that I go to that has that crap, runs a
serious risk of me saying 'screw it', and looking elsewhere to spend my
money.

aem sends...

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"

Do any regular posters here use gmail? Al Bundy Home Repair 8 September 24th 07 12:24 AM
not seeing some posters Dave UK diy 4 August 29th 06 10:43 PM
Google Posters EricP UK diy 54 June 8th 06 08:35 PM
Group Regular has been ill Send get well Colbyt Home Repair 11 March 9th 05 10:49 PM
Why are the HVAC group posters such Aholes? Tommy & Megan Price Home Repair 141 August 9th 04 07:57 AM