Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default Sharp microwave/convection oven thermistor

I have an ancient Sharp R-8310 microwave/convection oven that recently
broke its temperature sensing thermistor for the convection part. I'd
like to keep this oven because of its simple mechanical controls, but
what kind of substitute thermistor will work (temperature @ 25C,
temperature coefficient)? The factory part (FH-Z0017WRK0) is $40 with
the thermistor in a plastic shell and attached to a cable.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an ancient Sharp R-8310 microwave/convection oven that recently
broke its temperature sensing thermistor for the convection part. I'd
like to keep this oven because of its simple mechanical controls, but
what kind of substitute thermistor will work (temperature @ 25C,
temperature coefficient)? The factory part (FH-Z0017WRK0) is $40 with
the thermistor in a plastic shell and attached to a cable.

$40 sounds pretty decent to me, it's surprising the part is still available
at all. If it were me I'd just buy the factory part and save the
substitution for impossible to find or horrendously expensive parts.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

"James Sweet" writes:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an ancient Sharp R-8310 microwave/convection oven that recently
broke its temperature sensing thermistor for the convection part. I'd
like to keep this oven because of its simple mechanical controls, but
what kind of substitute thermistor will work (temperature @ 25C,
temperature coefficient)? The factory part (FH-Z0017WRK0) is $40 with
the thermistor in a plastic shell and attached to a cable.

$40 sounds pretty decent to me, it's surprising the part is still available
at all. If it were me I'd just buy the factory part and save the
substitution for impossible to find or horrendously expensive parts.

Of course, there are a variety of standard thermistors that go for more
along the lines of $1 from an electronics distributor.

Does anyone know what the specs on this are?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Of course, there are a variety of standard thermistors that go for more
along the lines of $1 from an electronics distributor.

Does anyone know what the specs on this are?

Is it not in some special housing? I was envisioning a probe for sticking
into meat, perhaps this is just a cavity temperature sensor.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

James Sweet wrote:

Is it not in some special housing? I was envisioning a probe for sticking
into meat, perhaps this is just a cavity temperature sensor.

It is the cavity temperature sensor and looks like a common glass
diode, but it's housed in a small plastic shell with spade lugs on it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

"James Sweet" writes:

Of course, there are a variety of standard thermistors that go for more
along the lines of $1 from an electronics distributor.

Does anyone know what the specs on this are?

Is it not in some special housing? I was envisioning a probe for sticking
into meat, perhaps this is just a cavity temperature sensor.

I'm not sure about that model, but the one I replaced a few years ago
was just soldered (or maybe spot welded) between two posts out in the open.