Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating steam pipes

This is our first winter in a beautiful 200+ year old house. Unfortunately,
we've already found that the basement is by far the warmest part of the
place! The steam furnace is fairly new (about 5 years), but almost all the
steam pipes running through the basement are bare.

Rather than moving the family down to the basement until spring, I'd like to
insulate the exposed steam pipes. They're definitely iron (some are
rusting), and range about 4-6" in diameter. I made a trip to the box stores
and saw several types of insulation with varying prices.

I don't want to assume that expensive is best, so I'd appreciate some
recommendations.

Thanks ---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Look for the foil encased bubble wrap. Reflectix is the name. Wrap
around your pipes and yu will notice the difference. Even at fullon
steam you can still hold the reflectix covered pipe as it reflects 90
% of heat. There is foil tape made for high heat too. I recommend
this 1000%

On Nov 7, 8:16 pm, "njdilettante" njdilettante@ .com wrote:
This is our first winter in a beautiful 200+ year old house. Unfortunately,
we've already found that the basement is by far the warmest part of the
place! The steam furnace is fairly new (about 5 years), but almost all the
steam pipes running through the basement are bare.

Rather than moving the family down to the basement until spring, I'd like to
insulate the exposed steam pipes. They're definitely iron (some are
rusting), and range about 4-6" in diameter. I made a trip to the box stores
and saw several types of insulation with varying prices.

I don't want to assume that expensive is best, so I'd appreciate some
recommendations.

Thanks ---

Posted to alt.home.repair

"njdilettante" njdilettante@ .com wrote in message
This is our first winter in a beautiful 200+ year old house.
Unfortunately, we've already found that the basement is by far the warmest
part of the place! The steam furnace is fairly new (about 5 years), but
almost all the steam pipes running through the basement are bare.

Rather than moving the family down to the basement until spring, I'd like
to insulate the exposed steam pipes. They're definitely iron (some are
rusting), and range about 4-6" in diameter. I made a trip to the box
stores and saw several types of insulation with varying prices.

I don't want to assume that expensive is best, so I'd appreciate some
recommendations.

Find out what size pipes you have.
Go to your local plumbing supply. Note: Plumbing supply, not Home Depot.
Ask for pipe insulation of the size you need for your pipes. It comes in
about 4' lengths and is easily cut as needed, wrapped and taped.

I love steam heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 8:35 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'd reccomend asbestos with a plaster jacket.

Wouldn't a dust mask and goggles protect you better than a plaster
jacket?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 7:16 pm, "njdilettante" njdilettante@ .com wrote:
This is our first winter in a beautiful 200+ year old house. Unfortunately,
we've already found that the basement is by far the warmest part of the
place! The steam furnace is fairly new (about 5 years), but almost all the
steam pipes running through the basement are bare.

Rather than moving the family down to the basement until spring, I'd like to
insulate the exposed steam pipes. They're definitely iron (some are
rusting), and range about 4-6" in diameter. I made a trip to the box stores
and saw several types of insulation with varying prices.

I don't want to assume that expensive is best, so I'd appreciate some
recommendations.

Thanks ---

Pipe insulation is maybe best and HD doesnt carry it, but I just
insulated a few hundred feet with 24" wide 6" thick fiberglass batts
paper faced, just tie it on with wire, It was cheap and quick. Check R
value of the real pipe insulation, forget bubble wrap its junk. You
might order white, no formaldehyde, encased in plastic, that would be
the cleanest but its a special order.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 9:55 am, ransley wrote:
[...]

If there is no insulation now then Asbestos was likely removed, you
might want to have dust samples taken or at least look into it..

Posted to alt.home.repair

As the fiberglass and paper dry out from the heat you will see
disintegration. The Reflectix is the way to go. Easy to work with
and definitely will keep house warmer .

On Nov 8, 10:55 am, ransley wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 1:56 pm, wrote:
[...]

the cleanest but its a special order.- Hide quoted text -

Reflextic has little R value, What is its certified R value, im in
dought it has anything close to its advertisement. Ive had fiberglass
on pipes for 20 years, since when does Fiber Glass dry out, For value
of true R value Fiberglass, then Pipe insulation the reflextic would
be last

Posted to alt.home.repair

All I know is IT WORKS!!! Was cheap and easy to work with. If I can
comfrtably hold a steam pipe I know its reflecting and/or containing
the heat.. R value is meaningless in a situation like this where
results are what matter. Aesthetics also play a role as well. I'll
take the silver look of reflectix over the half-a**ed look of wall
insulation wired over the pipes.

Reflextic has little R value, What is its certified R value, im in
dought it has anything close to its advertisement. Ive had fiberglass
on pipes for 20 years, since when does Fiber Glass dry out, For value
of true R value Fiberglass, then Pipe insulation the reflextic would
be last- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reflectix linear pipe wrap has an R value of 4.0 while owens corning
fiberglass pipe insulation has an R value of 5.0 and appears to be far
more costly and difficult to work with. Reflectix is the way to go

Reflextic has little R value, What is its certified R value, im in
dought it has anything close to its advertisement. Ive had fiberglass
on pipes for 20 years, since when does Fiber Glass dry out, For value
of true R value Fiberglass, then Pipe insulation the reflextic would
be last- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 4:39 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

Quality pipe insulation will work better and last way longer than that stuff.http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsu...asp?product=15

Bob

wrote in message

ups.com...

All I know is IT WORKS!!! Was cheap and easy to work with. If I can
comfrtably hold a steam pipe I know its reflecting and/or containing
the heat.. R value is meaningless in a situation like this where
results are what matter. Aesthetics also play a role as well. I'll
take the silver look of reflectix over the half-a**ed look of wall
insulation wired over the pipes.

Reflextic has little R value, What is its certified R value, im in
dought it has anything close to its advertisement. Ive had fiberglass
on pipes for 20 years, since when does Fiber Glass dry out, For value
of true R value Fiberglass, then Pipe insulation the reflextic would
be last- Hide quoted text -

Reflextic site says R4 total and down plays R value, Owens Corning is
R5 per inch, I have seen the product 2-3" inches thick, it is a
superior product made for the job. I used fiberglass batts in unused
basements of 6" thick, that is about R 21. It was just quicker,
cheaper and easy to install. I will bet reflextic to have the highest
cost per R value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I dare you to try the two and I bet the reflectix will have the same
outer temperature. Who needs 3" of insulation on a steam pipe when
3/8" or less of reflectix will do the same for less $$$.

On Nov 8, 4:39 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

Quality pipe insulation will work better and last way longer than that stuff.http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsu...asp?product=15

Bob

wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

cost per R value.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
All I know is IT WORKS!!!

That's what they say about the Q-Ray bracelet.

- Rodger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 5:22 pm, Rodger wrote:
wrote:
All I know is IT WORKS!!!

That's what they say about the Q-Ray bracelet.

- Rodger

The cost of reflextic will be tripple, its overpriced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 5:22 pm, Rodger wrote:

wrote:
All I know is IT WORKS!!!

That's what they say about the Q-Ray bracelet.

- Rodger

The cost of reflextic will be tripple, its overpriced.- Hide quoted text -

If you bother to check out the manufacturer specs on Reflextic, you'll
notice that the stuff is only rated for +180°F. All steam systems run
higher than that temp by at least 32° (at phase change), and even more
depending on the pressure that you run you system at. And yes, I
realize that if you take a temp reading off of an uninsulated steam
pipe (especially in an uninsulated crawl space) that the surface temp
of the pipe could be less than 180°. The surface temp of the steam
pipe is only the equalibrium temperature of the steam inside the pipe
and the heat loss by conduction through the pipe wall. By insulating
the pipes you are, by definition, raising their surface temperature.
Ideally you raise their surface temperature to the same temperature as
the steam inside in the pipe. The better this Reflextic works, the
more you are raising the application temperature above the product
rating. Don't be surprised if the Reflextic needs to be replaced
(resulting in increased costs) due to significant degradation over a
much shorter time than a standard application.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 5:22 pm, Rodger wrote:

wrote:
[...]

much shorter time than a standard application.- Hide quoted text -

I would not bother with putting insulation on the steam pipes in the
basement. When the heat cycles off, the pipes WILL cool down
insulation or not. Then when the heat cycles back on most of the loss
is in the inital heat required to heat the pipes back up. The heat
that is lost is still in your basement and still serves to heat your
house as it rises and warms the floor. Leave the basement door open
to the first floor and make good use of the heat.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm in my second season with reflectix. Appears to be fine. I have
noticed the living areas warnm up quicker and stay warmer longer. The
basement is gently warmed by the pipes instead of being a hotbox from
the uninsulated pipes. Even if the reflectix needs to be replaced in
a few years the amount will still be minimal and well worth it. When
the overpriced fiberglass goes (it will too) it will cost far more.
Garbage men may not take the fiberglass thinking its asbestos then you
have a disposal problem. If they sell it as pipe wrap I'm sure it can
handle the task.

On Nov 8, 5:22 pm, Rodger wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I'm in my second season with reflectix. Appears to be fine. I have
noticed the living areas warnm up quicker and stay warmer longer. The
basement is gently warmed by the pipes instead of being a hotbox from
the uninsulated pipes. Even if the reflectix needs to be replaced in
a few years the amount will still be minimal and well worth it. When
the overpriced fiberglass goes (it will too) it will cost far more.
Garbage men may not take the fiberglass thinking its asbestos then you
have a disposal problem. If they sell it as pipe wrap I'm sure it can
handle the task.

I've seen fiberglass insulation many years old with no sign of degradation. What
makes you think it won't last?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 1:01 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote in message

I'm in my second season with reflectix. Appears to be fine. I have
noticed the living areas warnm up quicker and stay warmer longer. The
basement is gently warmed by the pipes instead of being a hotbox from
the uninsulated pipes. Even if the reflectix needs to be replaced in
a few years the amount will still be minimal and well worth it. When
the overpriced fiberglass goes (it will too) it will cost far more.
Garbage men may not take the fiberglass thinking its asbestos then you
have a disposal problem. If they sell it as pipe wrap I'm sure it can
handle the task.

I've seen fiberglass insulation many years old with no sign of degradation. What
makes you think it won't last?

Bob

I have seen reflextic foil deteriorate on pipes and peal away, Ive had
fiberglass on steam pipes for 30 years with no deterioration. Steam
heat is maybe 60-190f above reflextics recommendations, steam can
maybe be near 150 -300f

Posted to alt.home.repair

We'll see won't we? If the reflectix goes in 10-15 years I'll
replace with the same. Cheap and easy to install. To each his own I
guess. Cutting fibreglass is a pain and requires long sleeves,mask
and glasses. Refletix is 100% safe to handle and only requires
scissors. The OP is doing the right thing by insulating his steam
pipes. I chose an effective, affardable and easy to use solution to
the same problem. I have already noticed the efficiency increase and
will see an $$$ savings too.

I have seen reflextic foil deteriorate on pipes and peal away, Ive had
fiberglass on steam pipes for 30 years with no deterioration. Steam
heat is maybe 60-190f above reflextics recommendations, steam can
maybe be near 150 -300f- Hide quoted text -