Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill in Schenectady

Default Insulating steam pipes

Are steam heating pipes too hot to take conventional hot water pipe
insulation? If so, can someone recommend a good way to insulate the steam
pipes in my basement that feed the house steam heating system?

--
Bill in Schenectady

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Bill in Schenectady wrote:
Are steam heating pipes too hot to take conventional hot water pipe
insulation? If so, can someone recommend a good way to insulate the steam
pipes in my basement that feed the house steam heating system?

This is what you want.
http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsu...t=15&system=83

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

RicodJour wrote:
Bill in Schenectady wrote:
Are steam heating pipes too hot to take conventional hot water pipe
insulation? If so, can someone recommend a good way to insulate the steam
pipes in my basement that feed the house steam heating system?

This is what you want.
http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsu...t=15&system=83

residential steam pipe (under very little pressure) is only a little
above 212 deg F.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill in Schenectady

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...

RicodJour wrote:
Bill in Schenectady wrote:
Are steam heating pipes too hot to take conventional hot water pipe
insulation? If so, can someone recommend a good way to insulate the
steam
pipes in my basement that feed the house steam heating system?

This is what you want.
http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsu...t=15&system=83

residential steam pipe (under very little pressure) is only a little
above 212 deg F.

Mark

Does that mean that I can get away with standard hot water pipe foam
insulation? It doesn't seem like I need an industrial solution for a common
household situation (at least in old houses like mine).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message

residential steam pipe (under very little pressure) is only a little
above 212 deg F.

Mark

Does that mean that I can get away with standard hot water pipe foam
insulation? It doesn't seem like I need an industrial solution for a
common household situation (at least in old houses like mine).

Nope. According to this, it is good for 210 degrees. Yu are working with
215 or so.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...archId=1306491

This company states NON-steam pipes for their brand
http://amconservationgroup.com/catalog.aspx?catid=103

I'd go with the fiberglass that was recommended. It is easy to install and
will last forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill in Schenectady

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message

residential steam pipe (under very little pressure) is only a little
above 212 deg F.

Mark

Does that mean that I can get away with standard hot water pipe foam
insulation? It doesn't seem like I need an industrial solution for a
common household situation (at least in old houses like mine).

Nope. According to this, it is good for 210 degrees. Yu are working with
215 or so.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...archId=1306491

This company states NON-steam pipes for their brand
http://amconservationgroup.com/catalog.aspx?catid=103

I'd go with the fiberglass that was recommended. It is easy to install and
will last forever.

thanks...but can I find this in a standard home depot/lowes?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message
thanks...but can I find this in a standard home depot/lowes?

I don't know, but a real plumbing supply will have it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill in Schenectady

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message
thanks...but can I find this in a standard home depot/lowes?

I don't know, but a real plumbing supply will have it.

Thanks...I'll give that a try.