DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Insulating steam pipes (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/141546-insulating-steam-pipes.html)

Bill in Schenectady January 23rd 06 01:36 AM

Insulating steam pipes

Are steam heating pipes too hot to take conventional hot water pipe
insulation? If so, can someone recommend a good way to insulate the steam
pipes in my basement that feed the house steam heating system?

--
Bill in Schenectady

RicodJour January 23rd 06 02:26 AM

Insulating steam pipes

Bill in Schenectady wrote:
Are steam heating pipes too hot to take conventional hot water pipe
insulation? If so, can someone recommend a good way to insulate the steam
pipes in my basement that feed the house steam heating system?

This is what you want.
http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsu...t=15&system=83

Mark January 23rd 06 05:43 PM

Insulating steam pipes

RicodJour wrote:
Bill in Schenectady wrote:
Are steam heating pipes too hot to take conventional hot water pipe
insulation? If so, can someone recommend a good way to insulate the steam
pipes in my basement that feed the house steam heating system?

This is what you want.
http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsu...t=15&system=83

residential steam pipe (under very little pressure) is only a little
above 212 deg F.

Mark

Bill in Schenectady January 24th 06 02:59 AM

Insulating steam pipes

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...

RicodJour wrote:
Bill in Schenectady wrote:
Are steam heating pipes too hot to take conventional hot water pipe
insulation? If so, can someone recommend a good way to insulate the
steam
pipes in my basement that feed the house steam heating system?

This is what you want.
http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsu...t=15&system=83

residential steam pipe (under very little pressure) is only a little
above 212 deg F.

Mark

Does that mean that I can get away with standard hot water pipe foam
insulation? It doesn't seem like I need an industrial solution for a common
household situation (at least in old houses like mine).

Edwin Pawlowski January 24th 06 03:22 AM

Insulating steam pipes

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message

residential steam pipe (under very little pressure) is only a little
above 212 deg F.

Mark

Does that mean that I can get away with standard hot water pipe foam
insulation? It doesn't seem like I need an industrial solution for a
common household situation (at least in old houses like mine).

Nope. According to this, it is good for 210 degrees. Yu are working with
215 or so.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...archId=1306491

This company states NON-steam pipes for their brand
http://amconservationgroup.com/catalog.aspx?catid=103

I'd go with the fiberglass that was recommended. It is easy to install and
will last forever.

Bill in Schenectady January 24th 06 03:33 AM

Insulating steam pipes

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message

residential steam pipe (under very little pressure) is only a little
above 212 deg F.

Mark

Does that mean that I can get away with standard hot water pipe foam
insulation? It doesn't seem like I need an industrial solution for a
common household situation (at least in old houses like mine).

Nope. According to this, it is good for 210 degrees. Yu are working with
215 or so.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...archId=1306491

This company states NON-steam pipes for their brand
http://amconservationgroup.com/catalog.aspx?catid=103

I'd go with the fiberglass that was recommended. It is easy to install and
will last forever.

thanks...but can I find this in a standard home depot/lowes?

Edwin Pawlowski January 24th 06 04:08 AM

Insulating steam pipes

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message
thanks...but can I find this in a standard home depot/lowes?

I don't know, but a real plumbing supply will have it.

Bill in Schenectady January 25th 06 03:14 AM

Insulating steam pipes

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message
thanks...but can I find this in a standard home depot/lowes?

I don't know, but a real plumbing supply will have it.

Thanks...I'll give that a try.