Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Subpanel or add breakers

I'm finishing my basement and am planning to add 6 new circuits (2:
lights, 1: outlets, 1: GFI in bath, 1: sewage pump, 1: misc devices
such as bath fan). I currently have 5 blank spaces in my main panel,
which is in my garage. I am comfortable installing new breakers, and
had planned on doing the wiring myself, and installing 2 thin breakers
and 4 full-size 20A breakers to feed the 6 circuits. However, I
realize another option is to install a sub-panel in the basement,
which I feel is probably outside my realm of comfortable-ness and
would require a pro installation. I did pull the electical permit
myself, so I will be getting it inspected, which I feel is important
to ensure I am doing everything correctly and safely, but I wanted an
outside opinion on whether it would be best to just run the new
circuits into the old panel (thereby filling it up), or hire an
electrician to put in a new sub panel, which I would then populate
myself.

Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Oct, 12:31, wrote:
[...]

IMHO, if I had the funds for the sub-panel, I'd probably opt for it.
Once you fill up the existing box, you'll be up against it the next
time you want/need to add another circuit anywhere in the house. Who
knows what the future holds?

As an added bonus, I assume it will be easier to wire the basement to
a panel in the basement as opposed to the panel in the garage. I
assume you have a spot picked out that won't impact the rest of the
project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like you have an up to code panel, etc., so I would say "6 of one -
half a dozen of the other". (Does not matter either way.)

The only thing is cost. Which is less expensive.

And future needs. Will you be using up all your spare slots and like to have
some free for the future?

Then free slots in basement area. Would you maybe want to add a circuit or
two in the future in the basement? Might be good to have a panel down there,
then would be easy to do.

In general I say; You always need more slots than whatever you have!

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

There are several things to consider. Do you actually have 5 spaces
available in the panel, or just 5 breaker knockouts in the cover?

All panels are not designed to accept half sized breakers, so even if you
have 5 spaces in the buss, you may not be able to install six breakers.

If your service is of sufficient size for the existing loads plus the
additional loads of the basement, it would probably make sense to add a sub
panel. If it's an easy run to the basement from the garage location, you may
just want to install a sub panel adjacent to the service panel. If the
existing service in not adequate, typical 200 amp panels can be bought to
accommodate up to 40 full sized breakers

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

My basement situation is the same as yours. I have about 5 spaces left in
my main panel as well. Due to lack of funds, my basement will not be
finished anytime soon. When the time does come, I plan on adding a sub to
handle the basement. I want to maintain a few open spaces in the main panel
just in case.

I'd recommend you add a sub in the basement to preserve the few open spaces
you have left in the main panel. The sub in the basement would also make
running your basement circuits easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

how many amps is the main panel? if its a 100 amps or less I would
upgrade to 200 amps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The main panel is only 100 amps, and I was mistaken - there are
actually 7 available slots, not 5 as I had stated before. Would you
still recommend upgrading to 200 amp service if I added the fact that
this is a townhouse - it is only 2 bedrooms and 1800 sqft. Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 8:51 am, wrote:
The main panel is only 100 amps, and I was mistaken - there are
actually 7 available slots, not 5 as I had stated before. Would you
still recommend upgrading to 200 amp service if I added the fact that
this is a townhouse - it is only 2 bedrooms and 1800 sqft. Thanks,

The answer to this question is the same as the answer to the HWH
question from the other day.

It's not the size of the house that should determine the size of a
given utility, it's the usage requirements. Look around your house,
including the soon-to-be finished basement, and decide how many amps
you might need based on your usage.

A lifestyle that consists a small TV and "one light on at a time"
could get by on 100 Amps in a 4000 sq ft house, while a 500 sq ft hut
with an injection molding machine might need just a bit more.

OTOH, consider the resale value - who knows, it could be the 100 vs
200 amp service that tips the scales with a prospective buyer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

There is actually a formula to determine the size a service should be, but
given the parameters you've already described, your existing 100 amp should
be fine

wrote in message
s.com...
The main panel is only 100 amps, and I was mistaken - there are
actually 7 available slots, not 5 as I had stated before. Would you
still recommend upgrading to 200 amp service if I added the fact that
this is a townhouse - it is only 2 bedrooms and 1800 sqft. Thanks,

Install Subpanel before existing subpanel? [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 16th 07 11:34 PM
60A Subpanel a12vman Home Repair 4 December 11th 05 12:47 PM
subpanel chester Home Repair 13 September 28th 05 08:26 AM
Electrical-breakers in a subpanel Charles Bishop Home Repair 3 March 10th 05 10:06 PM
Electrical Subpanel Ray Home Repair 19 December 21st 03 01:45 PM