Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Subpanel or add breakers

On Oct 31, 8:51 am, wrote:
The main panel is only 100 amps, and I was mistaken - there are
actually 7 available slots, not 5 as I had stated before. Would you
still recommend upgrading to 200 amp service if I added the fact that
this is a townhouse - it is only 2 bedrooms and 1800 sqft. Thanks,

The answer to this question is the same as the answer to the HWH
question from the other day.

It's not the size of the house that should determine the size of a
given utility, it's the usage requirements. Look around your house,
including the soon-to-be finished basement, and decide how many amps
you might need based on your usage.

A lifestyle that consists a small TV and "one light on at a time"
could get by on 100 Amps in a 4000 sq ft house, while a 500 sq ft hut
with an injection molding machine might need just a bit more.

OTOH, consider the resale value - who knows, it could be the 100 vs
200 amp service that tips the scales with a prospective buyer.