Posted to alt.home.repair
J.A. Michel J.A. Michel is offline

Default Subpanel or add breakers

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm finishing my basement and am planning to add 6 new circuits (2:
lights, 1: outlets, 1: GFI in bath, 1: sewage pump, 1: misc devices
such as bath fan). I currently have 5 blank spaces in my main panel,
which is in my garage. I am comfortable installing new breakers, and
had planned on doing the wiring myself, and installing 2 thin breakers
and 4 full-size 20A breakers to feed the 6 circuits. However, I
realize another option is to install a sub-panel in the basement,
which I feel is probably outside my realm of comfortable-ness and
would require a pro installation. I did pull the electical permit
myself, so I will be getting it inspected, which I feel is important
to ensure I am doing everything correctly and safely, but I wanted an
outside opinion on whether it would be best to just run the new
circuits into the old panel (thereby filling it up), or hire an
electrician to put in a new sub panel, which I would then populate
myself.

Thanks in advance!

My basement situation is the same as yours. I have about 5 spaces left in
my main panel as well. Due to lack of funds, my basement will not be
finished anytime soon. When the time does come, I plan on adding a sub to
handle the basement. I want to maintain a few open spaces in the main panel
just in case.

I'd recommend you add a sub in the basement to preserve the few open spaces
you have left in the main panel. The sub in the basement would also make
running your basement circuits easier.