Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ok, so can I replace my own water heater?

What we have here...Is the failure to, COMMUNICATE!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Oren" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:53:22 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Too often, I see people using pipe dope on flare fittings. rolleyes
Just recently, I came across a water heater with a male flare screwed

into
the valve!!!
They couldn't figure out why it keep leaking.
This is one task that should be left to a professional!!

What did you do?

Replaced the heater with a new unit.
As it's not economical to install a new gas control on an old unit.
Plus, there was other issues that needed to be addressed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
Thinking of the idiot who connected the gas line to the cold water
inlet, thinking it would make the water hotter. That didn't work at
first, then it became a 10,000% success (at least according to the
fire department).

Show me documentation that this really happened. It is pretty hard to
believe.

Can't you imagine? 50 pounds of water pressure agains 2 ounces of gas
pressure? Everybody on the block with liquid-squirting pilot lights?

What a hoot!

Never dealt with gas pressure on a main line, Eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:30:01 -0700, Bob F wrote:

"Sam E" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:24:22 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

[snip]

Or a reasonably thinking home-owner. Sure - there are a few idiots out

there.
That doesn't mean most do-it-your-self-ers are the same.

Bob

Thinking of the idiot who connected the gas line to the cold water
inlet, thinking it would make the water hotter. That didn't work at
first, then it became a 10,000% success (at least according to the
fire department).

Show me documentation that this really happened. It is pretty hard to

believe.

Especially considering that the lines have differences sizes and threads.
You'd have to spend a few hours down at the local home depot looking

through
the wall of couplers and adapters to find the two or three adapters you
have to tie together to adapt the gas line to a water in/outlet.

Really???

Water inlet/outlet 3/4 NPT
Gas connection 1/2 NPT

One little 1/2 - 3/4 bushing is all one needs...

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"dgk" wrote in message

I asked the maintenance guy at work. He doesn't have the time but
knows a plumber who can do it. So, I'll probably work with him. I buy
the heater, he's got the tools and pipes.

There ya go...

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
Can't you imagine? 50 pounds of water pressure agains 2 ounces of gas
pressure? Everybody on the block with liquid-squirting pilot lights?

What a hoot!

Never dealt with gas pressure on a main line, Eh?

No, never have.

Tell us about your experiences.

Please limit it to the last ten times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 3:57 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm no pro, and someone will probably quickly post something to say
this is bad... but I replaced my water heater and had a similar
problem. I ended up using that flexable stuff, the same stuff that is
on my clothes dryer.

It's not the same stuff...

Kind of slow checking this group... but yes, I actually used the same
stuff. Not dead (long pause) yet. Although by "same stuff", not sure
what everyone has on their clothes dryer, so let me clarify. It is
about 5 or 6" in diameter. Thin walls that look like thick tin-foil
(or aluminum paper, whatever they call it these days). It has some
wire inside the paper walls that wind around in a spiral fasion. If
you have a length of it that is about 12 inches compressed, it will
probably stretch out to several feet, it is kind of like a slinky...
That is the same stuff they sold me when I bought a new gas clothes
dryer -- I think that was at Best Buy.