Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Light Switch Makes Popping Sound

This is a switch in a bathroom that turns on a light on the ceiling
and also a fan (actually, the fan is separate from the light and has a
plug that goes into a receptacle next to the fan--1960 squirrel cage
type). So the single switch actualy controls the light and an outlet
for the fan.

For a long time there was an intermittent problem where when you
flipped the switch, it would make a popping sound. I recently had the
switch replaced and asked the electrician if there was any sign of
wires damaged or burned. He said no and replaced the switch.

Well, it is not as loud as it had been at it's worse, but I can still
occassionally hear a slight pop when turning it on. Any ideas on what
would cause this type of thing?
--
John

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

When the contacts in the switch touch, the load of the lights and motor
cause an arc inside the switch which can sometimes be audible. You might
want to replace it with a heavier or better grade of switch

"John Ross" wrote in message
ups.com...
This is a switch in a bathroom that turns on a light on the ceiling
and also a fan (actually, the fan is separate from the light and has a
plug that goes into a receptacle next to the fan--1960 squirrel cage
type). So the single switch actualy controls the light and an outlet
for the fan.

For a long time there was an intermittent problem where when you
flipped the switch, it would make a popping sound. I recently had the
switch replaced and asked the electrician if there was any sign of
wires damaged or burned. He said no and replaced the switch.

Well, it is not as loud as it had been at it's worse, but I can still
occassionally hear a slight pop when turning it on. Any ideas on what
would cause this type of thing?
--
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 8:41 am, John Ross wrote:
This is a switch in a bathroom that turns on a light on the ceiling
and also a fan (actually, the fan is separate from the light and has a
plug that goes into a receptacle next to the fan--1960 squirrel cage
type). So the single switch actualy controls the light and an outlet
for the fan.

For a long time there was an intermittent problem where when you
flipped the switch, it would make a popping sound. I recently had the
switch replaced and asked the electrician if there was any sign of
wires damaged or burned. He said no and replaced the switch.

Well, it is not as loud as it had been at it's worse, but I can still
occassionally hear a slight pop when turning it on. Any ideas on what
would cause this type of thing?
--
John

As long as you need to repair this situation, I suggest you install a
separate fan switch, preferably a timer or humidistat style.

Right now when you leave the bathroom you are either leaving the light
on to ensure the fan clears the moisture, or you are turning off the
fan before the moisture is cleared. The former wastes electricity, the
latter can result in mold and peeling paint. (This assumes showers/
baths are taken in the bathroom)

In any event, you're wasting electricity every time you turn on the
light (and therefore the fan) even if you're just combing your hair or
brushing your teeth, assuming you have both.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Ross wrote:
This is a switch in a bathroom that turns on a light on the ceiling
and also a fan (actually, the fan is separate from the light and has a
plug that goes into a receptacle next to the fan--1960 squirrel cage
type). So the single switch actualy controls the light and an outlet
for the fan.

For a long time there was an intermittent problem where when you
flipped the switch, it would make a popping sound. I recently had the
switch replaced and asked the electrician if there was any sign of
wires damaged or burned. He said no and replaced the switch.

Well, it is not as loud as it had been at it's worse, but I can still
occassionally hear a slight pop when turning it on. Any ideas on what
would cause this type of thing?
--
John

Hi,
If you don't like the sound, replace it with a hospital grade switch
which won't arc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...

RBM remove this wrote:
When the contacts in the switch touch, the load of the lights and motor
cause an arc inside the switch which can sometimes be audible. You might
want to replace it with a heavier or better grade of switch

So you are saying it is normal under this kind of condition and not a
safety issue? Therefore, putting in "heavier grade" switch is just
optional if it bothers me?
--
John

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Every time you get that pop, it's burning away a little more of the contacts
inside the switch. At some point it'll stop working properly and need to be
replaced. A better grade of switch, like spec grade, or a heavier rated
switch such as a 20 amp, will have more substantial contacts, and will make
a more positive connection, so it will be less likely to make a pop, and
will last longer

"John Ross" wrote in message
ps.com...

ups.com...

RBM remove this wrote:
When the contacts in the switch touch, the load of the lights and motor
cause an arc inside the switch which can sometimes be audible. You might
want to replace it with a heavier or better grade of switch

So you are saying it is normal under this kind of condition and not a
safety issue? Therefore, putting in "heavier grade" switch is just
optional if it bothers me?
--
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 04:38:23 -0700, John Ross
wrote:

ups.com...

RBM remove this wrote:
When the contacts in the switch touch, the load of the lights and motor
cause an arc inside the switch which can sometimes be audible. You might
want to replace it with a heavier or better grade of switch

So you are saying it is normal under this kind of condition and not a
safety issue? Therefore, putting in "heavier grade" switch is just
optional if it bothers me?

I can hear the sirens of the fire truck rushing to your house right
now. You need a qualified electrician. Call one NOW. This is an
EMERGENCY. Or shut off the power to your entire house until one
arrives. You might see flames shooting out of that switch any minute.
Kill the power NOW.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 7:41 am, John Ross wrote:
This is a switch in a bathroom that turns on a light on the ceiling
and also a fan (actually, the fan is separate from the light and has a
plug that goes into a receptacle next to the fan--1960 squirrel cage
type). So the single switch actualy controls the light and an outlet
for the fan.

For a long time there was an intermittent problem where when you
flipped the switch, it would make a popping sound. I recently had the
switch replaced and asked the electrician if there was any sign of
wires damaged or burned. He said no and replaced the switch.

Well, it is not as loud as it had been at it's worse, but I can still
occassionally hear a slight pop when turning it on. Any ideas on what
would cause this type of thing?
--
John

It's back EMF (electro-motive-force) from the motor starting up. This
actually causes the switch contacts to "bounce" making the noise and
an internal spark. With squirrel motors the current circulates around
the coil and the rotor (squirrel) inside the coil "follows" that
circulating current. For there to be zero back EMF the rotor would
have to be in perfect speed synch with the coil current flow, but it
never is, especially at start up time when it is standing still.
Cheap paddle ceiling fans can also show this symptom, but the more
expensive fans have a capacitor circuit to absorb some of the back
emf, the real cheap ceiling fans dont so they make a noise too I've
found.

Teac AG-V3020 amp, output problems. no sound, popping, faint phono sound neilc Electronics Repair 1 September 3rd 07 11:23 PM
Popping sound in the water heater Rabs Home Repair 2 February 1st 07 12:02 AM
Gas welding - popping sound when shutting down crb UK diy 16 June 27th 05 02:26 PM
Duct makes a Thud Sound CJ Home Repair 8 January 22nd 05 04:02 PM
RCA PROSCAN 1997?? Popping sound Maxwell Cameron Electronics Repair 2 July 14th 03 05:25 AM