Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Light Switch Makes Popping Sound

On Oct 20, 8:41 am, John Ross wrote:
This is a switch in a bathroom that turns on a light on the ceiling
and also a fan (actually, the fan is separate from the light and has a
plug that goes into a receptacle next to the fan--1960 squirrel cage
type). So the single switch actualy controls the light and an outlet
for the fan.

For a long time there was an intermittent problem where when you
flipped the switch, it would make a popping sound. I recently had the
switch replaced and asked the electrician if there was any sign of
wires damaged or burned. He said no and replaced the switch.

Well, it is not as loud as it had been at it's worse, but I can still
occassionally hear a slight pop when turning it on. Any ideas on what
would cause this type of thing?
--
John

As long as you need to repair this situation, I suggest you install a
separate fan switch, preferably a timer or humidistat style.

Right now when you leave the bathroom you are either leaving the light
on to ensure the fan clears the moisture, or you are turning off the
fan before the moisture is cleared. The former wastes electricity, the
latter can result in mold and peeling paint. (This assumes showers/
baths are taken in the bathroom)

In any event, you're wasting electricity every time you turn on the
light (and therefore the fan) even if you're just combing your hair or
brushing your teeth, assuming you have both.