Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Popping sound in the water heater

I hear a popping sound from the gas water heater (about 7 years old)
during heating. I believe it is due to sediments build up in the
water heater. I'm planning on getting a new one installed in 2-3
weeks. Is it safe to operate the current water heater till then?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rabs wrote:

I hear a popping sound from the gas water heater (about 7 years old)
during heating. I believe it is due to sediments build up in the
water heater. I'm planning on getting a new one installed in 2-3
weeks. Is it safe to operate the current water heater till then?

It is due to sediment and is quite harmless.
Little pockets of water in the sediment are "exploding"
during firing, causing the popping or rumbling.

When you get the new heater, set up some schedule to
flush the thing. Search the archives on this group;
should be several hundred messages about "draining
water heater" or similar.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rabs" wrote in message
oups.com...
I hear a popping sound from the gas water heater (about 7 years old)
during heating. I believe it is due to sediments build up in the
water heater. I'm planning on getting a new one installed in 2-3
weeks. Is it safe to operate the current water heater till then?

Safe to use. Heck, mine's been making those noises for 6 years now with no
ill effects. I'll probably end up replacing it soon as it's nearing 14
years old.
Cheers,
cc