Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is the most reliable "Back-Pack" Gas Weed Eater?

Hello everyone,

I have slightly over an acre of yard with 125 large trees, 700+ feet
of fence-line, numerous bushes, flowerbeds, out buildings and 400 feet
of drainage ditch that I have to weed eat around. I checked with a
landscaping company and they said they wouldn't touch it for just the
weed eating for less than $75 per/cut. I'm not paying that much. I'll
pay for a high quality one and do it myself. I need one that has the
back-pack feature because I'm getting older and I can't hold the
regular ones very long.

Needless to say, it's a bit much for your standard weed eater. I've
worked several of them to death.

I'm looking for a high quality, electric start, "back-pack" type
commercial weed eater to purchase.

I thought I would check here first to see if any of you good people
could tell me of any that you've personally used and had great
experiences with.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 07:43:25 -0700, Merlin
wrote:

[...]

I have a simple Weedeater. Bought it in 1993 at the BORG for about
$60. I use it weekly on a 3/4 acre lot with over 180 trees. It still
runs good, lightweight, and I tip it 90% for edging. If it died
today, I'd buy another just like it.

It is bad practice to strike a tree trunk with a string trimmer (or
anything else), as this will damage the bark and can introduce all
kinds of disease.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

kinds of disease.- Hide quoted text -

Consider using Roundup everywhere you would trim, easier, less waste
of time, do it twice a year or so and its alot cheaper

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Merlin" wrote in message
[...]

If you get a good quality straight shaft trimmer (like a commercial Stihl)
and try one of these, it might aremove the back-pack requirement.
http://www.weedwheels.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

First, thank you all for answering my question. You're a great help to
me.

I have further questions that have occurred to me:

If I sprayed an area around a tree with roundup, wouldn't that affect
the tree?

Or a bush?

Also, how could I control the spray along a 200 ft ditch so that it
was straight and appealing to the eye like I can with a trimmer?

I'm all for making my life easier, but I don't want it to look like
hell.

Also, as I said, my arms aren't what they used to be. I was
considering one of the back pack units so the part I'm holding would
be lighter. Is this practical?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Merlin wrote:
If I sprayed an area around a tree with roundup, wouldn't that affect
the tree?

As long as the roots are below grade or heavily barked, no. Roundup is
not a systemic as the active ingredient (glyphosate) is readily bound in
the soil.

Or a bush?

Same thing although if the bush is "droopy" applying it underneath is
more problematical w/o getting it on the foliage.

And if both cases, of course, overspray and misting and bounceback are
issues to be careful of.

Also, how could I control the spray along a 200 ft ditch so that it
was straight and appealing to the eye like I can with a trimmer?

That would be quite difficult w/o a physical border of some sort imo.

I'm all for making my life easier, but I don't want it to look like
hell.

Also, as I said, my arms aren't what they used to be. I was
considering one of the back pack units so the part I'm holding would
be lighter. Is this practical?

Seems like but I've not used one so can't personally comment on how
effectively it might be to accomplish the goal.

At least you don't have the half-mile of cedar windbreak that needs the
weeds taken out of at least a couple of times per year that can't get to
w/ the weedeater owing to branches coming to the ground (which, of
course, is not fixable if one wants an effective windbreak). So, I
still use the scythe. Makes for good exercise if nothing else, I tell
myself...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The problem with RoundUp is that the spray can travel to plants you
don't want to kill. It won't hurt a tree unless you get it on the
leaves. Your best solution is to mulch the tree---controls weeds and
provides some nutrients.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 1:14 pm, "Mamba" wrote:
"Merlin" wrote in message

[...]

and try one of these, it might aremove the back-pack requirement.http://www.weedwheels.com/- Hide quoted text -

I did my area which has 70 trees and hundreds of perennials, I also
convinced a guy who owns a nice farm to do it and he now saves 250 a
month all summer from reduced weedwacking labor and gas. Around trees
are no issue, I go out about a foot, near plants or gardens first you
want no wind, I found a piece of 1/4" paneling about 4x4 that had a
hole cut in it I use as a shield, For some areas I cover a group of
plants with buckets or plastic. After abouit 2 weeks I get out my
handheld propane weed burner and burn everything black, it looks good.
Maybe twice a year I do it, I used to spend hours weedwacking with a
Sthil, now no more. If you get it on a plant it can be removed by
hoseing with water if you do it right away. Get a good garden sprayer
with adjustable patterns and try it slowly when you have no wind. The
Propane weed burner takes a small tank , the wand or burner head is
long enough where you stand and burn out the dead stuff. A 200 ft
ditch, I cant really picture but it might look better killed and
burnt. Wait till its dead from the spray before you burn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:31:12 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

I use Roundup around flowers in the flower beds all the time. I do use it
in a good 2 gallon sprayer with a nozzle I can aim precisely and apply it
in the morning when the wind is calm and when I know it's not going to
rain for 24 hours or so. It isn't very often I get any bleed-over to
plants that I want to keep. From his description of his property I would
suggest the OP purchases a sprayer and concentrated Roundup. That will
save him a ton of trimming as it does here around all the trees and
landscaping features I have.

Thanks man. A friend suggested that I use a cut out piece of cardboard
as a backing to spray against. That would also keep the line very
straight.

That's a real good idea. I have a sprayer that I use for bug spray
also, and it has a good spray pattern that I can adjust to about 6
inches. That will give me a good boarder to mow to.

Thanks to all of you for your advice!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Merlin" wrote in message
[...]

Just a thought. You could use a reliable straight shaft timmer with one of
these to reduce fatigue.

http://www.weedwheels.com/

stihl weed eater newman Home Repair 4 May 7th 07 12:59 PM
Homemade "power runner" battery pack for camera mp3 player cordless drill?? [email protected] Electronics 4 November 12th 05 10:07 AM
Weed eater string Perry Templeton Home Repair 2 June 24th 05 03:27 AM
weed eater blower help Ron Vander Home Repair 6 April 16th 05 06:11 PM