Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default What is the most reliable "Back-Pack" Gas Weed Eater?

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:34:51 -0700, Merlin
wrote:

On Oct 18, 12:58 pm, ransley wrote:
On Oct 18, 11:41 am, Phisherman wrote:

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 07:43:25 -0700, Merlin
wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have slightly over an acre of yard with 125 large trees, 700+ feet
of fence-line, numerous bushes, flowerbeds, out buildings and 400 feet
of drainage ditch that I have to weed eat around. I checked with a
landscaping company and they said they wouldn't touch it for just the
weed eating for less than $75 per/cut. I'm not paying that much. I'll
pay for a high quality one and do it myself. I need one that has the
back-pack feature because I'm getting older and I can't hold the
regular ones very long.

Needless to say, it's a bit much for your standard weed eater. I've
worked several of them to death.

I'm looking for a high quality, electric start, "back-pack" type
commercial weed eater to purchase.

I thought I would check here first to see if any of you good people
could tell me of any that you've personally used and had great
experiences with.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

I have a simple Weedeater. Bought it in 1993 at the BORG for about
$60. I use it weekly on a 3/4 acre lot with over 180 trees. It still
runs good, lightweight, and I tip it 90% for edging. If it died
today, I'd buy another just like it.

It is bad practice to strike a tree trunk with a string trimmer (or
anything else), as this will damage the bark and can introduce all
kinds of disease.- Hide quoted text -

Consider using Roundup everywhere you would trim, easier, less waste
of time, do it twice a year or so and its alot cheaper

First, thank you all for answering my question. You're a great help to
me.

I have further questions that have occurred to me:

If I sprayed an area around a tree with roundup, wouldn't that affect
the tree?

Or a bush?

Also, how could I control the spray along a 200 ft ditch so that it
was straight and appealing to the eye like I can with a trimmer?

I'm all for making my life easier, but I don't want it to look like
hell.

Also, as I said, my arms aren't what they used to be. I was
considering one of the back pack units so the part I'm holding would
be lighter. Is this practical?

The problem with RoundUp is that the spray can travel to plants you
don't want to kill. It won't hurt a tree unless you get it on the
leaves. Your best solution is to mulch the tree---controls weeds and
provides some nutrients.