Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smelly Basement Drain

All,

I have noticed that my basement seems to smell horrible every so
often. I think I have traced the smell to the drain in my basement.
While I was down there the other day, I heard it "gurgling" after my
wife had been running the kitchen faucet for a few minutes.

Is there any type of drain cover I can get that will eliminate the
smell, yet allow the drain to remain functional? The basement is
finished, and I have a sump pump that runs frequently. Also, the
moisture from the A/C flows into the drain, so I can't just plug the
drain.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

"lagman" wrote in message

oups.com...

All,

I have noticed that my basement seems to smell horrible every so
often. I think I have traced the smell to the drain in my basement.
While I was down there the other day, I heard it "gurgling" after my
wife had been running the kitchen faucet for a few minutes.

Is there any type of drain cover I can get that will eliminate the
smell, yet allow the drain to remain functional? The basement is
finished, and I have a sump pump that runs frequently. Also, the
moisture from the A/C flows into the drain, so I can't just plug the
drain.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Dan- Hide quoted text -

That and check your roof vent if it is gurgling air is getting trapped
and can't get out

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

wrote:

Just pour a little bleach/water mix into it every so often. Sounds like the
trap is drying out.

"lagman" wrote in message

roups.com...

All,

I have noticed that my basement seems to smell horrible every so
often. I think I have traced the smell to the drain in my basement.
While I was down there the other day, I heard it "gurgling" after my
wife had been running the kitchen faucet for a few minutes.

Is there any type of drain cover I can get that will eliminate the
smell, yet allow the drain to remain functional? The basement is
finished, and I have a sump pump that runs frequently. Also, the
moisture from the A/C flows into the drain, so I can't just plug the
drain.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Dan- Hide quoted text -

That and check your roof vent if it is gurgling air is getting trapped
and can't get out- Hide quoted text -

Further to that a sewer trap in most basements would take one hell of
a long time to dry out 1yr or more as there is always water being
added leak yes dry out or evaporate no

Posted to alt.home.repair

why is there "always water being added"? He stated that his a/c condensate
goes there, but if that's not running, then where's the water source? A
trap will evaporate out in about 3 weeks normally.

ups.com...