Old_boat

Default Smelly Sink Drain

I installed a new bathroom vanity and sink. Ever since, whenever you run
HOT water in the sink, you get a strong odor of sewer gas. I have taken it
apart several times, cleaned it, ran bleach water down the drain and
overflow, checked to make sure the drain pipes were correct, etc. Whatever I
do, the smell returns in a couple days. Any one have any Ideas what I can
try next?

HotRod

Did you install a goose neck? Any chance that the water is getting sucked
out of the goose neck? or drying up?

Old_boat

"HotRod" wrote in message
Did you install a goose neck? Any chance that the water is getting sucked
out of the goose neck? or drying up?

Yes, I used the same pipes that were on the old sink, and every time I take
it apart, the trap is full of water.

Joe Sloppy

Same deal with my bathroom sink, I never noticed any sewer smell before
the new faucet then once I installed it, when the hot water is running,
it smells of sewer the first couple seconds, and then goes away, always
to return. I dont know why this is. Only when I run the Hot water do I
smell it. Strange...

Patt

I have this problem in the kitchen sink, and it happened after I installed
new faucet. This happens when I turn on cold water and the smell goes away
after a minute or so. Anyone have a solution.
Patt

"Joe Sloppy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Same deal with my bathroom sink, I never noticed any sewer smell before
the new faucet then once I installed it, when the hot water is running,
it smells of sewer the first couple seconds, and then goes away, always
to return. I dont know why this is. Only when I run the Hot water do I
smell it. Strange...

Joseph Meehan

Old_boat wrote:
I installed a new bathroom vanity and sink. Ever since, whenever you
run HOT water in the sink, you get a strong odor of sewer gas. I have
taken it apart several times, cleaned it, ran bleach water down the
drain and overflow, checked to make sure the drain pipes were
correct, etc. Whatever I do, the smell returns in a couple days. Any
one have any Ideas what I can try next?

Did you use some kind of sealant in the drain that may be letting off an
odor when it get hot? Maybe the sink has some sort of coating that you need
to clean off that maybe making an odor when the hot water hits it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old_boat wrote:
I installed a new bathroom vanity and sink. Ever since, whenever you run
HOT water in the sink, you get a strong odor of sewer gas. I have taken it
apart several times, cleaned it, ran bleach water down the drain and
overflow, checked to make sure the drain pipes were correct, etc. Whatever I
do, the smell returns in a couple days. Any one have any Ideas what I can
try next?

i think it's just a fluke that you are getting the smell now. it may
have happened over time regardless if you changed the taps or not. i
had the same problem. the cause is sulfide - unharmful bacteria but
smells like rotten eggs. most people don't bother to filtrate their hot
water but i did. pick up a whole house "sulfide eater" and install it -
no more sulfide.

gl

Old_boat

"Doug Warner" wrote in message
"Old_boat" wrote:

I installed a new bathroom vanity and sink. Ever since, whenever you run
HOT water in the sink, you get a strong odor of sewer gas. I have taken it
apart several times, cleaned it, ran bleach water down the drain and
overflow, checked to make sure the drain pipes were correct, etc. Whatever
do, the smell returns in a couple days. Any one have any Ideas what I can
try next?

A test: Run the first hot water into a bowl, not letting it get near
the drain. If it still smells, it's the water. (I get occasional
sulfer smell in the hot water..)

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

I took it apart again last night, this time I took off the tail piece of the
sink drain also. I found that the space between the top of the sink drain
and the bottom of the sink drain where the overflow goes into the tailpiece
just full of black gunk. Now the question is, why is this particular sink
accumulating this stuff in that area. I cleaned it all out and now it does
not smell at all, but I bet it will return in a short period of time. Could
it be the faucet drain is not designed properly? This is a cast sink that is
made of all one piece of a resin type material that resembles granite?

Doug Kanter

. ..

"Old_boat" wrote:

[...]

That black gunk took years to build up, right? Or is it a new sink?
Whatever. Maybe get into the habit of spraying some straight bleach in there
from time to time. The stuff isn't much different than the obscene amounts
you'll find when a drain pipe gets clogged and you snake it out. You know -
the stuff that is apparently able to travel 30 feet across the basement, and
get all over things you didn't think you needed to cover with plastic.

Old_boat

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

. ..

"Old_boat" wrote:

[...]

Nope sink is only a few months old. I have been running bleach water down
the drain and the overflo. It is a mystery to me.

Cinthia

keep your butt out of the drain and the smells will go away.
~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info