Old_boat

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Old_boat" wrote in message
. ..

"Doug Warner" wrote in message
"Old_boat" wrote:

I installed a new bathroom vanity and sink. Ever since, whenever you run
HOT water in the sink, you get a strong odor of sewer gas. I have taken
it
apart several times, cleaned it, ran bleach water down the drain and
overflow, checked to make sure the drain pipes were correct, etc.
Whatever I
do, the smell returns in a couple days. Any one have any Ideas what I can
try next?

A test: Run the first hot water into a bowl, not letting it get near
the drain. If it still smells, it's the water. (I get occasional
sulfer smell in the hot water..)

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

I took it apart again last night, this time I took off the tail piece of
the sink drain also. I found that the space between the top of the sink
drain and the bottom of the sink drain where the overflow goes into the
tailpiece just full of black gunk. Now the question is, why is this
particular sink accumulating this stuff in that area. I cleaned it all
out and now it does not smell at all, but I bet it will return in a short
period of time. Could it be the faucet drain is not designed properly?
This is a cast sink that is made of all one piece of a resin type
material that resembles granite?

That black gunk took years to build up, right? Or is it a new sink?
Whatever. Maybe get into the habit of spraying some straight bleach in
there from time to time. The stuff isn't much different than the obscene
amounts you'll find when a drain pipe gets clogged and you snake it out.
You know - the stuff that is apparently able to travel 30 feet across the
basement, and get all over things you didn't think you needed to cover
with plastic.

Nope sink is only a few months old. I have been running bleach water down
the drain and the overflo. It is a mystery to me.