DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Smelly Basement Drain (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/216986-smelly-basement-drain.html)

lagman October 9th 07 03:21 PM

Smelly Basement Drain

All,

I have noticed that my basement seems to smell horrible every so
often. I think I have traced the smell to the drain in my basement.
While I was down there the other day, I heard it "gurgling" after my
wife had been running the kitchen faucet for a few minutes.

Is there any type of drain cover I can get that will eliminate the
smell, yet allow the drain to remain functional? The basement is
finished, and I have a sump pump that runs frequently. Also, the
moisture from the A/C flows into the drain, so I can't just plug the
drain.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Dan

Steve Barker LT[_2_] October 9th 07 03:37 PM

Smelly Basement Drain

Just pour a little bleach/water mix into it every so often. Sounds like the
trap is drying out.

oups.com...

jim October 9th 07 04:59 PM

Smelly Basement Drain

"lagman" wrote in message

oups.com...

All,

I have noticed that my basement seems to smell horrible every so
often. I think I have traced the smell to the drain in my basement.
While I was down there the other day, I heard it "gurgling" after my
wife had been running the kitchen faucet for a few minutes.

Is there any type of drain cover I can get that will eliminate the
smell, yet allow the drain to remain functional? The basement is
finished, and I have a sump pump that runs frequently. Also, the
moisture from the A/C flows into the drain, so I can't just plug the
drain.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Dan- Hide quoted text -

That and check your roof vent if it is gurgling air is getting trapped
and can't get out

jim October 9th 07 05:02 PM

Smelly Basement Drain

wrote:

Just pour a little bleach/water mix into it every so often. Sounds like the
trap is drying out.

"lagman" wrote in message

roups.com...

All,

I have noticed that my basement seems to smell horrible every so
often. I think I have traced the smell to the drain in my basement.
While I was down there the other day, I heard it "gurgling" after my
wife had been running the kitchen faucet for a few minutes.

Is there any type of drain cover I can get that will eliminate the
smell, yet allow the drain to remain functional? The basement is
finished, and I have a sump pump that runs frequently. Also, the
moisture from the A/C flows into the drain, so I can't just plug the
drain.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Dan- Hide quoted text -

That and check your roof vent if it is gurgling air is getting trapped
and can't get out- Hide quoted text -

Further to that a sewer trap in most basements would take one hell of
a long time to dry out 1yr or more as there is always water being
added leak yes dry out or evaporate no

Steve Barker LT[_2_] October 9th 07 05:48 PM

Smelly Basement Drain

why is there "always water being added"? He stated that his a/c condensate
goes there, but if that's not running, then where's the water source? A
trap will evaporate out in about 3 weeks normally.

ups.com...