Posted to alt.home.repair

Default filling holes from drywall anchors after removing them

I live in an apartment where I must remove all of the drywall anchors
before moving out.
Is there a product designed to fill these larger holes (around 1/8")
rather than just using plain spackle (which may not effectively fill
them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in an apartment where I must remove all of the drywall anchors
before moving out.
Is there a product designed to fill these larger holes (around 1/8")
rather than just using plain spackle (which may not effectively fill
them?

You could use pintable caulking which will fill the holes nicely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 3:04 am, wrote:
I live in an apartment where I must remove all of the drywall anchors
before moving out.
Is there a product designed to fill these larger holes (around 1/8")
rather than just using plain spackle (which may not effectively fill
them?

Use the spaackle or joint compound or plaster of paris, whichever you
have on hand. They shrink a bit so do it twice. Use a wet but not
dripping sponge to clean up instead of sanpaper and what is left will
only be in the holes and barely noticed. Refrain from using toothpaste
it will show through the next paint job as a greasy spot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 2:04 am, wrote:
I live in an apartment where I must remove all of the drywall anchors
before moving out.
Is there a product designed to fill these larger holes (around 1/8")
rather than just using plain spackle (which may not effectively fill
them?

Spackle it with 2 or 3 coats is the right way, forget the toothpaste
(I think single women moving out of apartments thought of that one).
3 inch taping knife should be fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
On Oct 2, 2:04 am, wrote:
I live in an apartment where I must remove all of the drywall anchors
before moving out.
Is there a product designed to fill these larger holes (around 1/8")
rather than just using plain spackle (which may not effectively fill
them?

Spackle it with 2 or 3 coats is the right way, forget the toothpaste
(I think single women moving out of apartments thought of that one).
3 inch taping knife should be fine.

Actually I saw the suggestion on a TV home decorating program. The host of
the show, however, did go on about the right color shoes to wear during the
remodel. He used words that I think are colors (taupe, puce, teal, etc.), so
I'm not sure of his gender... You may be right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 Oct, 03:04, wrote:
I live in an apartment where I must remove all of the drywall anchors
before moving out.
Is there a product designed to fill these larger holes (around 1/8")
rather than just using plain spackle (which may not effectively fill
them?

For what it's worth, there's at least one brand of spackle that goes
on pink and turns white when dry. While it may sound like a waste of
technology, it's not a bad idea if you're in a hurry, especially if
you need a second application for a deep hole or you want to start
painting ASAP. It's kind of nice to know as soon as it's OK to sand or
re-apply that second layer.

By the way, unless you're hiding this project from the landlord, it
might help to ask if they're going to be painting after you leave. If
you agree beforehand that you will repair the holes and prepare them
for paint (fill, sand, prime) then perhaps (s)he won't try to add this
to the list of things (s)he's going to deduct from your deposit.

(S)He could look at the repairs, and even if they are perfect, charge
you for them anyway. Some landlords are like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

SNIP HAPPENS
(S)He could look at the repairs, and even if they are perfect, charge
you for them anyway. Some landlords are like that.

Theres a fun way of dealing with landlords who start with holding deposit
money for thigs like nail holes and wall anchor patches.

The landlord (not he manager or management company, but the landlord
who actually owns the buildng) is without fdoubt depeciating the building
on the landlord's federal and state income taxes.

Among other things, that depreciation covers ordinary wear and tear, and
small items like the kind of repair the OP is talking about. A 3 foot x
2 foot hole
punched into a gypsum wall is a different isssue, but wall anchors and
repairs for wall anchors are normal wear and tear

Its always fun, in the cases where I represented a tenant being screwed this
way bu a management company or landlord to remind the landlord and
the property manager that bull**** deductions for ordinary wear and tear
will result in a certified mail letter the local IRS district office and
the state
income tax folks about the obvious tax fraud being perpetrated by the
landlord
in taking the deduction for depreciation each of the years you lived in
the rental.

Amazing how quickly sense overtakes the greed of the management
companies and landlords.
taxing

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:

(S)He could look at the repairs, and even if they are perfect, charge
you for them anyway. Some landlords are like that.

If they're perfect, how's he going to find them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Perfect eyesight???

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JC" wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
DerbyDad03 wrote:

(S)He could look at the repairs, and even if they are perfect, charge
you for them anyway. Some landlords are like that.

If they're perfect, how's he going to find them?

--

Perfect eyesight???

Is this like the irresistible force meeting the immovable object
conundrum?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Haha, years ago when I was in nursing school living in a dorm,
toothpaste was "the" way to fill in holes. All of the rooms had lovely
institutional green paint, and there was a toothpaste brand that matched
it almost exactly. So yeah, the "single ladies" theory is pretty
accurate, LOL.

Spackle it with 2 or 3 coats is the right way, forget the toothpaste
(I think single women moving out of apartments thought of that one).
3 inch taping knife should be fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
. ..
DerbyDad03 wrote:

SNIP HAPPENS
(S)He could look at the repairs, and even if they are perfect, charge
you for them anyway. Some landlords are like that.

What is there to charged if its perfect?

Theres a fun way of dealing with landlords who start with holding deposit
money for thigs like nail holes and wall anchor patches.

I had a tenant with hundreds of holes which maybe ok if he didn't patch it
up. But than he butchered the walls with patches so bad that you need to cut
it out and refinish (patch, texture and paint) the wall correctly.

The landlord (not he manager or management company, but the landlord
who actually owns the buildng) is without fdoubt depeciating the building
on the landlord's federal and state income taxes.

Among other things, that depreciation covers ordinary wear and tear, and
small items like the kind of repair the OP is talking about. A 3 foot x 2
foot hole
punched into a gypsum wall is a different isssue, but wall anchors and
repairs for wall anchors are normal wear and tear

I consider a few ok but what do you do when a tenant use 3" nails every 6"
apart on you fascia boards all around the exterior of the house for Xmas
decoration? The repair by a licensed painter may exceed the deposit.

I had a tenant rip off the structural wall bracing and repatch it so you
couldn't tell and another one replaced the plywood subfloor with OSB. What
can you do when you find out long after they moved out?

Its always fun, in the cases where I represented a tenant being screwed
this
way bu a management company or landlord to remind the landlord and
the property manager that bull**** deductions for ordinary wear and tear
will result in a certified mail letter the local IRS district office and
the state
income tax folks about the obvious tax fraud being perpetrated by the
landlord
in taking the deduction for depreciation each of the years you lived in
the rental.

Actually it should be deprecated from the day placed in service. In any
case, what do you report and how is this a tax fraud? Depreciation is not a
free ride, its recaptured at 25%. Even if the property is fully depreciated,
he is entitled to the value of repair within reason. Tenants and landlords
have two different definitions of wear and tear - this is what pictures and
small claim is for. This is my experience of ware and tear, and as you can
see, its really accelerated in a rental:

Interior paint - house, 15 years
rental, 4 years

Carpet - house, 20 years
rental, 5 years

Landscape - house, 15 years
rental, 7 years

Amazing how quickly sense overtakes the greed of the management
companies and landlords.
taxing

I couldn't see how management companies benefit from being greedy - they
make a percentage from rent collected, not how much they rip you off from
the deposit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

RickH wrote:
On Oct 2, 2:04 am, wrote:
I live in an apartment where I must remove all of the drywall
anchors before moving out.
Is there a product designed to fill these larger holes (around 1/8")
rather than just using plain spackle (which may not effectively fill
them?

Spackle it with 2 or 3 coats is the right way, forget the toothpaste
(I think single women moving out of apartments thought of that one).
3 inch taping knife should be fine.

Actually I saw the suggestion on a TV home decorating program. The
host of the show, however, did go on about the right color shoes to
wear during the remodel. He used words that I think are colors (taupe,
puce, teal, etc.), so I'm not sure of his gender... You may be right.

so I'm not sure of his gender...

Play it safe. Refer to as "shim".