Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Filling small holes in Gyproc/plasterboard/drywall

Hi all,

I fixed some free-standing shelves to a drywall to stop them tipping
over if children tried to climb them or someone unsteady on their feet
grabbed them for balance. I've now moved the shelves, and am now
wondering what the best/recommended way of making good is. I used
butterfly fixings, and unscrewing the shelves means that the butterfly
part of the fixing falls down in the wall void, leaving an approx.
half to two-thirds inch diameter hole. (I've since discovered fixings
where the screw can be removed without losing the expanding gripper on
the other side of the wall.

Anyway - what should I be using to fill the holes? Is there any
special or recommended technique?

Thanks,

Sid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Aug, 11:19, "Dave Liquorice" wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:30:41 -0700, wrote:
Anyway - what should I be using to fill the holes?

Good old polyfilla or similar.

Is there any special or recommended technique?

Make it up pretty stiff, a hole that size will allow a sloppy mixture to
slump. Treat a bit like plaster, when almost but not quite set, wet the
surface and polish flush and smooth with a trowel. This avoids any dusty
sanding down and feathers the edges nicely.

Making good the finish might be the hardest part, particulary if the wall
is papered rather than painted.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Thank-you. Polyfilla it is then.

Cheers,

Sid

Taping and Filling Plasterboard - Materials Richard Conway UK diy 2 September 6th 06 12:16 PM
Filling holes in joists The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 10 September 5th 06 11:49 PM
Filling Holes J T Woodworking 0 August 24th 06 08:48 PM
filling 1/2" holes in drywall below baseline [email protected] Home Repair 3 April 16th 06 12:27 AM
Filling worm holes Prometheus Woodturning 14 June 10th 05 10:27 AM