Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Taping and Filling Plasterboard - Materials

Hi all,

I know the method has been discussed quite a bit recently, but I was
wondering if people had any advice on which materials/products are good
for this. In particular:

- Which jointing tape is best? Can I use the self adhesive scrim tape I
use to tape joints when skimming boards or should I get the specific
stuff for the job?

- Which joint filler is best?

- How to prepare the boards for painting - I believe Wickes do a product
you paint on, are there any others and which is best?

Thanks in advance guys,

Ricahrd.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 09:42:41 +0100, Richard Conway
wrote:

Hi all,

I know the method has been discussed quite a bit recently, but I was
wondering if people had any advice on which materials/products are good
for this. In particular:

- Which jointing tape is best? Can I use the self adhesive scrim tape I
use to tape joints when skimming boards or should I get the specific
stuff for the job?

Just use the self adhesive stuff.

- Which joint filler is best?

there is a type that starts to set as soon as you add water, use that
to build up the depth to flush with the boards then use the type that
dries by evaporation to get a smooth finish. Use a plasteres trowel to
apply these. B&Q do the British Gypsum products Wickes do Knauf I've
use both and cant tell the difference.

- How to prepare the boards for painting - I believe Wickes do a product
you paint on, are there any others and which is best?

Thanks in advance guys,

Ricahrd.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard Conway" wrote in message
Hi all,

I know the method has been discussed quite a bit recently, but I was
wondering if people had any advice on which materials/products are good
for this. In particular:

- Which jointing tape is best? Can I use the self adhesive scrim tape I
use to tape joints when skimming boards or should I get the specific stuff
for the job?

- Which joint filler is best?

- How to prepare the boards for painting - I believe Wickes do a product
you paint on, are there any others and which is best?

1. use self adhesive cloth tape £3 for 50m for builder merchant.

2. I persoanally use and most of the plasters I have seen in the last
10years odd use the British Gypsum ready mix joint filler. I was really
sceptical about using this as it costs way more than mix your own (£9 for 5l
tin) however I would now never use ready mix. I find the ready mixed stuff
dries smoother, is easy to get smoother, no bubbles, no lumps, produces a
far superior "feather edge", you don't have to *rse around mixing, lasts for
ages (years in my case, sealed top surface with cling film) sealed in the
tin (unlike mix your own goes off in the bag), you can use all in the tin it
lasts and I generally use it for other jobs where say polyfilla would be
used. As ready mixed can just pop open any time you see hole than needs
filling or your tape & filled joint is not to you liking. Have I sold it to
you yet ????