Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl pool leak. Now or spring?

We have an 18 y/o in ground pool with a 9 y/o liner that decided to
develop a leak. We
are closing anyway for the winter. Any particular reason we can't wait
until Spring and just change it when we open? Don't know for sure where
the leak is. Anything I should look at that might be of importance in
making the decision.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Kurt Ullman wrote:
We have an 18 y/o in ground pool with a 9 y/o liner that decided to
develop a leak. We
are closing anyway for the winter. Any particular reason we can't wait
until Spring and just change it when we open? Don't know for sure where
the leak is. Anything I should look at that might be of importance in
making the decision.

Any possibility of the water from the leak freezing and causing damage?
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/1/2007 10:47 AM Kurt Ullman said the following:
We have an 18 y/o in ground pool with a 9 y/o liner that decided to
develop a leak. We
are closing anyway for the winter. Any particular reason we can't wait
until Spring and just change it when we open? Don't know for sure where
the leak is. Anything I should look at that might be of importance in
making the decision.

How bad is the leak? Will the pool survive the winter without completely
draining? What kind of winter pool cover will you be using? The solid
type or the mesh type? The mesh type will help in adding to the water
level with rain and melting snow.
Most pool liners are only guaranteed to last 10 years. You might think
ahead to replacing it next spring, then it won't matter if it all drains
away over the winter.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
willshak wrote:

on 10/1/2007 10:47 AM Kurt Ullman said the following:
We have an 18 y/o in ground pool with a 9 y/o liner that decided to
develop a leak. We
are closing anyway for the winter. Any particular reason we can't wait
until Spring and just change it when we open? Don't know for sure where
the leak is. Anything I should look at that might be of importance in
making the decision.

How bad is the leak? Will the pool survive the winter without completely
draining? What kind of winter pool cover will you be using? The solid
type or the mesh type? The mesh type will help in adding to the water
level with rain and melting snow.
Most pool liners are only guaranteed to last 10 years. You might think
ahead to replacing it next spring, then it won't matter if it all drains
away over the winter.

Its a roughly 20,000 gallon pool and we probably lost about 2
inches of water over 48 hours or so. Solid type of cover. I just wanted
to make sure that there would not be additional damage to pool itself
either from the leak freezing and thawing (we don't really know where it
is) or if the water going down might cause somethign else to happen that
would damage the pool itself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/1/2007 12:36 PM Kurt Ullman said the following:
In article ,
willshak wrote:

[...]

You may be lucky in that the leak is in the liner side high up and no
more water can leak out. Some water leaks are in the skimmers.
Do you use the bottle type plastic skimmer drain closers that are
supposed to take the pressure of freezing water rather than the skimmer
sides?
Perhaps there is a crack in the skimmer(s). If so, the leakage will stop
when the water level in the pool is lower than the skimmer entrance. If
the leak is in the bottom of the pool, all bets are off. Find and seal
it (brrrrr).

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman writes:

In article ,
willshak wrote:

[...]

The solid cover will tear if there's no water underneath and enough
snow or water accumulates. (Been there.)

If the pool empties completely it might pop out of the ground.
(Or so I've heard.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/1/2007 1:44 PM Dan Espen said the following:
Kurt Ullman writes:

In article ,
willshak wrote:

[...]

My solid cover was held by water tubes. As the spring approached, the
amount of cover overlapping the pool became shorter and shorter as the
weight of the water on the cover dragged the water tubes towards the edge.
Right now, I am waiting for my delivery of a mesh cover that is attached
to hooks drilled into the concrete.
No more of those f*****g water tubes that were a pain to fill and empty
every fall and spring, and the removal of all the water, leaves and
debris that accumulated on the cover.