Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl pool liner.

I have a 32 x 16' inground vinyl lined pool. About 4' worth
of 3' deep shallow end, sloping down to 5' for the rest of the
pool. The liner is about 13-14 years old, but apparently still
in extremely good condition.

Didn't open it last year, but this year we pretty much have to.
With the leaves et. al., the volume of crud in it was so bad,
that it was thought best to drain it almost completely, shovel
out the crud, and then refill/skim/vacuum/shock/etc.

Drained it down to about 6" in the deep end, and cleaned it out.

The vinyl has pulled away from the sides, and there's some
wrinkling on the bottom along the sides and in the shallow end
corners. The vinyl along the central portion of the pool
has not moved.

Assuming that refilling the pool will "reseat" the vinyl, I've
started refilling again.

I'm up to about 4" in the shallow end.

Some of the wrinkles have virtually disappeared, and the biggest
ones in the shallow end seem (but I'm not sure) to be smaller.

Is it safe to assume that it will reseat? Or should I stop
refilling and figure out some way to physically stretch the
bottom vinyl towards the corners and thus pull the wrinkles
out? How do you do that anyway? Suction cups?

Thanks in advance.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Damn Chris, it must be that Canadian air, I can't get a liner to last more
than about five years, and even at that, they start to shrink and pull away
from the bead. I wouldn't even worry about the bottom, just hope it stays on
the walls

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to RBM rbm2(remove :
Damn Chris, it must be that Canadian air, I can't get a liner to last more
than about five years, and even at that, they start to shrink and pull away
from the bead. I wouldn't even worry about the bottom, just hope it stays on
the walls

The SO corrected me. It's actually 19 years old - installed 1987 ;-)

The water will push the vinyl back against the walls alright, I'm just
a bit worried that if the vinyl along the bottom edges doesn't slide
back into position, either the vinyl will tear or pull out of the
rim ("bead" I guess). Hence my question about trying to "help"
the water pressure stretch out the wrinkles. But how?
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair

Liners usually lose their elasticity and become brittle after a few years.
It is not recommended to drain and refill. Otherwise the pro's that I have
seen use a shop vac to pull the liner to the wall before filling. I guess
there is not much to do except wait and see how it turns out.

FYI: my liner finally gave out this year. Installed in 1987. When I drained
it, you could bend the vinyl and have it snap in half.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's history. Chlorine makes the vinyl shrink when you drain them. It will
more than likely tear out at the top if you continue to fill. Been there
done that twice.

--
Steve Barker