Posted to alt.home.repair
jmagerl jmagerl is offline

Default Vinyl pool liner.

Liners usually lose their elasticity and become brittle after a few years.
It is not recommended to drain and refill. Otherwise the pro's that I have
seen use a shop vac to pull the liner to the wall before filling. I guess
there is not much to do except wait and see how it turns out.

FYI: my liner finally gave out this year. Installed in 1987. When I drained
it, you could bend the vinyl and have it snap in half.

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
I have a 32 x 16' inground vinyl lined pool. About 4' worth
of 3' deep shallow end, sloping down to 5' for the rest of the
pool. The liner is about 13-14 years old, but apparently still
in extremely good condition.

Didn't open it last year, but this year we pretty much have to.
With the leaves et. al., the volume of crud in it was so bad,
that it was thought best to drain it almost completely, shovel
out the crud, and then refill/skim/vacuum/shock/etc.

Drained it down to about 6" in the deep end, and cleaned it out.

The vinyl has pulled away from the sides, and there's some
wrinkling on the bottom along the sides and in the shallow end
corners. The vinyl along the central portion of the pool
has not moved.

Assuming that refilling the pool will "reseat" the vinyl, I've
started refilling again.

I'm up to about 4" in the shallow end.

Some of the wrinkles have virtually disappeared, and the biggest
ones in the shallow end seem (but I'm not sure) to be smaller.

Is it safe to assume that it will reseat? Or should I stop
refilling and figure out some way to physically stretch the
bottom vinyl towards the corners and thus pull the wrinkles
out? How do you do that anyway? Suction cups?

Thanks in advance.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est