Posted to alt.home.repair
Mary

Default Help with AG pool leak..

AG 12' x 24' pool.
Level had gone down over the winter. I thought I might have pumped out water
accidentaly when pumping water off of the winter cover...
Not so....
Last night I covered the skimmer and plugged the return line to eliminate
the chance that its in the filter plumbing...

Over night the water went down 1 inch in about 10 hours.
I plan on lowering the water level afew inches at a time and then waiting to
see if it goes down on its own. I figure when it stops going down on its own
I will have a rough idea what level the leak is at. then I will get in
(still very cold) and inspect the perimiter of the liner just above the
water level to find the hole????

Problem is, if the hole is on the floor or at the very bottem this may not
work out to well.

Is there a better way to find this leak???

1" from a 12' x 24' pool in 10 hours seems like a pretty good leak???

Thanks for any help..

\
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

Thats 12x24 = 288 square feet 1" deep is 24 cubic feet or 2.4 CF per
hour or (1 US gallon = 0.133680556 cubic feet) = 0.32 gal/hr or 41oz/hr or
0.68 oz per minute.

If you put a drop of food coloring near the hole it will be sucked out but
that method is mainly for confirmation, it would take forever to screen a
whole pool that way.

Note that the rate of draining will decrease as you remove water and all
that weight is no longer pressing on the hole. 2.4CF/hr will be cut in half
when the pool is half empty if the hole is on the bottom.

Try digging a few small test holes around the perimiter of the pool to see
if you can localize a wet area and limit your search.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"PipeDown" wrote in message news:GEGkg.6701

Thats 12x24 = 288 square feet 1" deep is 24 cubic feet or 2.4 CF per
hour or (1 US gallon = 0.133680556 cubic feet) = 0.32 gal/hr or 41oz/hr or
0.68 oz per minute.

I think there's a hole in your calculations.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

"Mary" writes:

[...]

Most leaks I've encountered are on the bottom.

Using a face mask, they're usually visible.
At one inch in ten hours, I think you'll see it.

Holes can be repaired without draining the pool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

PipeDown wrote:

1" from a 12' x 24' pool in 10 hours seems like a pretty good leak???

Thats 12x24 = 288 square feet 1" deep is 24 cubic feet or 2.4 CF per
hour or (1 US gallon = 0.133680556 cubic feet)...

= 2.4/0.12268 = 18 gallons per hour or 0.3 gpm...

Note that the rate of draining will decrease as you remove water and all
that weight is no longer pressing on the hole. 2.4CF/hr will be cut in half
when the pool is half empty if the hole is on the bottom.

The leak rate might increase, with less pressure
to seal the liner to the soil around the hole.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
sky

Mary wrote:
[...]

Miss Mary,Steve,...........1st of all what size pool do you
have????........12'x24'...means
12foot around by 24foot deep.....Your not using your well are you?

In any event.....The goggles are what I used on my 15'x48".
Some are obvious, some are not.

A pool is like a garden, Spend an hour on it a day, and it's no
trouble......But miss one day, and it goes to seed..........Sky

You can obtain either self-adhesed patches (make sure the edges are
rounded), or vinyl
scraps, ( still round edges) and apply a vinyl adhesve glue to your
patch, that works under water.....I always thought that process was
tits...To see a patch with glue work under water.

I've done this numerous times......I'll check back later.........

I'm also
steve............................................. ..............

Posted to alt.home.repair
sky

Okay....I think I'm getting a picture .........You have an oval pool
12' wide by 24' long....
That's 48" deep......That's a lot of space to cover..... to check.

And no, 1" overnight isn't that bad.

Your still goin' to need the goggles....maybe even a snorkel, and while
your at it put a pair of cotton socks on...
It'll help you to get around and you can clean the liner if you drag
your feet.......
Their especialy good for getting under the seam where the wall meets
the floor.
And they'll pick out imperfections easier.

How old is the liner? Did you install? or move in, and it was
there?.......
Do you know what the floor was carved from? Did you have shale or good
dirt?
Has the sand shifted? Has the cove moved?
Was the wall seam where it's bolted together duct taped?
What type of grass do you have in your yard?
Are there trees near by?

Did you have a hard winter? Ice under the cover can expand and cause a
break in a cold vinyl liner.

Birds looking for water can peck a hole......I've had wood ducks in
mine.

Do you have a cat or dog?

Have enough to chew on? for now?............I'll check
back........steve

Mary wrote:
Its an oval pool 48" high

Steve