Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Help with AG pool leak..

"Mary" wrote in message
AG 12' x 24' pool.
Level had gone down over the winter. I thought I might have pumped out
water accidentaly when pumping water off of the winter cover...
Not so....
Last night I covered the skimmer and plugged the return line to eliminate
the chance that its in the filter plumbing...

Over night the water went down 1 inch in about 10 hours.
I plan on lowering the water level afew inches at a time and then waiting
to see if it goes down on its own. I figure when it stops going down on
its own I will have a rough idea what level the leak is at. then I will
get in (still very cold) and inspect the perimiter of the liner just above
the water level to find the hole????

Problem is, if the hole is on the floor or at the very bottem this may not
work out to well.

Is there a better way to find this leak???

1" from a 12' x 24' pool in 10 hours seems like a pretty good leak???

Thanks for any help..

\
Steve

Thats 12x24 = 288 square feet 1" deep is 24 cubic feet or 2.4 CF per
hour or (1 US gallon = 0.133680556 cubic feet) = 0.32 gal/hr or 41oz/hr or
0.68 oz per minute.

If you put a drop of food coloring near the hole it will be sucked out but
that method is mainly for confirmation, it would take forever to screen a
whole pool that way.

Note that the rate of draining will decrease as you remove water and all
that weight is no longer pressing on the hole. 2.4CF/hr will be cut in half
when the pool is half empty if the hole is on the bottom.

Try digging a few small test holes around the perimiter of the pool to see
if you can localize a wet area and limit your search.