Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Winter Pool LEAK? New pool owners need help.

New home owners in SW Ohio. We have an inground swimming pool which
was already closed for the winter when we moved into the house this
fall. During the past month, we have observed the cover seeming to
slide lower and lower into the pool. When we came back from a weeks
vacation during Thanksgiving, we saw the cover seemed considerably
lower.

Looking into the pool, the water level was near the bottom step at the
shallow end. Someone suggested to me that the weight of the water and
leaves on the cover was forcing the water in the pool up and out
(somehow? - I don't understand the physics here, the water level is way
below the skimmer - where does it go?). So I pumped all the water off
of the cover, filled the water in the pool to 8" below the skimmer and
cleaned off the leaves. This morning I checked and the water in the
pool had dropped about 1/4 - 1/2" since last night.

I am at a loss and need some help! Do I have a leak? Should I just
keep filling the pool this winter and deal with it in the spring? I
expect that I should not let the level go down unchecked, it seems like
this is hard on the cover and could damage the pool walls in the spring
when the rains come.

Here is what I know about the pool:
The bottom is cement, the walls are fiberglass.
The pool was installed at least 20 years ago.
The cover is new this season.
The previous owner is unaware of any leaks.

TIA for any advice.

BRAD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Definitely sounds like a leak in pool somewhere. I would keep pool
filled this winter and fix leak in spring.
You know you must keep pool filled ,as, if there is ground water level
present it could float out of ground. .
Keep that in mind when you do make repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

it is possible when it was winterized they left a stopcock or drain
plug a little open. I would have a pool company come out and check to
make sure the pool was winterized properly and that they can't see any
leaks. It will make any claim against the seller much easier if you
have it checked now vs going back in the spring!

Jack wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I will check to see where the water comes back into the pool. There is
no drain in the pool so it is not left open. Also, I neglected to
mention that all the pumps and such are above the pool level so I don't
see any way for the water to siphon out at the pump.

I have seen a couple other posts from people who loose water in the
winter but not in the spring/summer. I have not seen a good
explanation as to why.

So far I have had to replace about 18" of water. Is there any chemical
treatment required of the new water I am putting in? The water out of
the tap tests fairly neutral.

Thanks again,
BRAD

On Nov 29, 9:34 am, "wayne" wrote:
it is possible when it was winterized they left a stopcock or drain
plug a little open. I would have a pool company come out and check to
make sure the pool was winterized properly and that they can't see any
leaks. It will make any claim against the seller much easier if you
have it checked now vs going back in the spring!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brad wrote:
I will check to see where the water comes back into the pool. There
is no drain in the pool so it is not left open.

There HAS to be a drain. It will usually be in the deepest part of the pool
if it's a diving pool, and/or the part of the pool farthest from the inlets.
Otherwise the pumps etc. would have no place to get water for the
circulation of water.

Also, I neglected to
mention that all the pumps and such are above the pool level so I
don't see any way for the water to siphon out at the pump.

You're right, that's pretty unlikely. One thing to keep in mind is: Always
check water level at the actual water, NOT on top of any cover. I've seen a
lot of people think their pool has a leak because the cover seems to be
going down farther, but in reality it was just the cover letting water
"leak" through on top of it, in which case the cover sort of "sinks" but the
actual water level doesn't change.
I'm not saying this is your problem; simply to be sure you measure the
water level against the side of the pool and not based on the cover itself
in any way.

I have seen a couple other posts from people who loose water in the
winter but not in the spring/summer. I have not seen a good
explanation as to why.

Ice movement, once it forms, can do strange things to pools. You never
mentioned a pool liner, but your description of the pool sounds like it
should be the type tha tuses a liner. IFF it has a liner, that's where the
water leak is going to be, and pretty hard to locate so next spring is
actually your only choice for fixing it.

So far I have had to replace about 18" of water. Is there any
chemical treatment required of the new water I am putting in? The
water out of the tap tests fairly neutral.

Proper water level is about a foot below the water inlets or the strainer
basket opening, whichever is lower. If you get a lot of winter rain, maybe
even lower but it shouldn't be any lower than about half the height of the
shallow water walls, in order to keep them in position.

I'd have to agree that it's worth having a pool company take a look at the
situation if your'e really losing water, for your own comfort and for the
reasons mentioned by the poster below.

Also, to prevent freezing and breaking, all water inlets, strainer and
return lines (from the drain) should be plugged at BOTH ends to keep water
out of them. Normally the plugs will be put into the pool side, antifreeze
put into the pipes, and then the pump-ends plugged also. If there is water
in those pipes underground, it will be an expensive spring.

Since the previous owners would have had little reason to do an outstanding
job of closeing the pool, I'd again suggest having it inspected by a pro for
the winter. Also I wouldn't be shy about asking the previous owners for
instructions on what they did when they closed the pool. It might be an eye
opener.

You never mentioned where you are, so if you won't get a hard freeze over
the winter it's going to be a non issue anyway. Assuming you have four
steps, just keep the leve up to the second step and below the
inlets/outlets.

HTH
Pop`

Thanks again,
BRAD

On Nov 29, 9:34 am, "wayne" wrote:
it is possible when it was winterized they left a stopcock or drain
plug a little open. I would have a pool company come out and check to
make sure the pool was winterized properly and that they can't see
any leaks. It will make any claim against the seller much easier if
you have it checked now vs going back in the spring!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 12:39 pm, "Pop`" wrote:
Brad wrote:
I will check to see where the water comes back into the pool. There
is no drain in the pool so it is not left open.There HAS to be a drain. It will usually be in the deepest part of the pool

if it's a diving pool, and/or the part of the pool farthest from the inlets.
Otherwise the pumps etc. would have no place to get water for the
circulation of water.

I will double check tonight. I guess I thought the pump got its water
from the skimmer.

Also, I neglected to

mention that all the pumps and such are above the pool level so I
don't see any way for the water to siphon out at the pump.You're right, that's pretty unlikely. One thing to keep in mind is: Always

check water level at the actual water, NOT on top of any cover. I've seen a
lot of people think their pool has a leak because the cover seems to be
going down farther, but in reality it was just the cover letting water
"leak" through on top of it, in which case the cover sort of "sinks" but the
actual water level doesn't change.
I'm not saying this is your problem; simply to be sure you measure the
water level against the side of the pool and not based on the cover itself
in any way.

I am checking from the actual water level to the bottom of the skimmer.

I have seen a couple other posts from people who loose water in the
winter but not in the spring/summer. I have not seen a good
explanation as to why.Ice movement, once it forms, can do strange things to pools. You never

mentioned a pool liner, but your description of the pool sounds like it
should be the type tha tuses a liner. IFF it has a liner, that's where the
water leak is going to be, and pretty hard to locate so next spring is
actually your only choice for fixing it.

The pool does not have a liner. The bottom is cement and the sides are
fiberglass (with some type of coating). So far, we have not had any
ice. In fact the winter here (SW Ohio) has been fairly warm. It will
eventually get cold and th e top will freeze, I just want to make sure
that I will not have any more problems then.

So far I have had to replace about 18" of water. Is there any
chemical treatment required of the new water I am putting in? The
water out of the tap tests fairly neutral.Proper water level is about a foot below the water inlets or the strainer

basket opening, whichever is lower. If you get a lot of winter rain, maybe
even lower but it shouldn't be any lower than about half the height of the
shallow water walls, in order to keep them in position.

I'd have to agree that it's worth having a pool company take a look at the
situation if your'e really losing water, for your own comfort and for the
reasons mentioned by the poster below.

Also, to prevent freezing and breaking, all water inlets, strainer and
return lines (from the drain) should be plugged at BOTH ends to keep water
out of them. Normally the plugs will be put into the pool side, antifreeze
put into the pipes, and then the pump-ends plugged also. If there is water
in those pipes underground, it will be an expensive spring.

I know the owner did use a pool company to close the pool and they did
put some type of anti-freeze into the lines. I don't know much more
than that but I may have them come back out and look it over with me.

Since the previous owners would have had little reason to do an outstanding
job of closeing the pool, I'd again suggest having it inspected by a pro for
the winter. Also I wouldn't be shy about asking the previous owners for
instructions on what they did when they closed the pool. It might be an eye
opener.

You never mentioned where you are, so if you won't get a hard freeze over
the winter it's going to be a non issue anyway. Assuming you have four
steps, just keep the leve up to the second step and below the
inlets/outlets.

HTH
Pop`

Thanks for the detailed response.

BRAD

Thanks again,
BRAD

On Nov 29, 9:34 am, "wayne" wrote:
it is possible when it was winterized they left a stopcock or drain
plug a little open. I would have a pool company come out and check to
make sure the pool was winterized properly and that they can't see
any leaks. It will make any claim against the seller much easier if
you have it checked now vs going back in the spring!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do I have a leak?

Yes.

The previous owner is unaware of any leaks.

Right. What else did he lie to you about?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello Brad,

I know this is a late response, but for future you should perform a
bucket test to determine if the water loss is from a leak or just
evaporation.

You can view the bucket test at the following webpage.

http://www.americanleakdetection.com...ucket-test.php

Good luck,

Josh Butler
American Leak Detection

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

What claim? Unless the seller warranted the pool the house (and pool)
were bought as is. Did you get it inspected before closing? If I were
seller I'd say "^$$^$ off" if you expected me to fix it after closing.
Unless I specifically warranteed it. Otherwise who knows what happened
in the meantime. If the pool was closed prematurely that would be a
hint to me to check it thoroughly before closing.