Posted to alt.home.repair
wayne wayne is offline

Default Winter Pool LEAK? New pool owners need help.

it is possible when it was winterized they left a stopcock or drain
plug a little open. I would have a pool company come out and check to
make sure the pool was winterized properly and that they can't see any
leaks. It will make any claim against the seller much easier if you
have it checked now vs going back in the spring!

Jack wrote:

wrote:
New home owners in SW Ohio. We have an inground swimming pool which
was already closed for the winter when we moved into the house this
fall. During the past month, we have observed the cover seeming to
slide lower and lower into the pool. When we came back from a weeks
vacation during Thanksgiving, we saw the cover seemed considerably
lower.

Looking into the pool, the water level was near the bottom step at
the shallow end. Someone suggested to me that the weight of the
water and leaves on the cover was forcing the water in the pool up
and out (somehow? - I don't understand the physics here, the water
level is way below the skimmer - where does it go?). So I pumped
all the water off of the cover, filled the water in the pool to 8"
below the skimmer and cleaned off the leaves. This morning I
checked and the water in the pool had dropped about 1/4 - 1/2"
since last night.

I am at a loss and need some help! Do I have a leak? Should I just
keep filling the pool this winter and deal with it in the spring? I
expect that I should not let the level go down unchecked, it seems
like this is hard on the cover and could damage the pool walls in
the spring when the rains come.

Here is what I know about the pool:
The bottom is cement, the walls are fiberglass.
The pool was installed at least 20 years ago.
The cover is new this season.
The previous owner is unaware of any leaks.

TIA for any advice.

BRAD

Definitely sounds like a leak in pool somewhere. I would keep pool
filled this winter and fix leak in spring.
You know you must keep pool filled ,as, if there is ground water level
present it could float out of ground. .
Keep that in mind when you do make repair