Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Septic System Vent Tube ?

Hello,

Just curious about this.

Seems like I see more and more homes in my area have the u shaped plastic
pipe coming out of their lawn.

Sure does look horrible.

Obviously, it's a vent that is over the septic tank itself, or possibly over
the leaching field.
Anyone know which ?

Years ago, you never saw these.
Is it a recent building code requirement (live in Mass.) ?

Why is it used, or required ?
What if it isn't used ?
etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:

Hello,

Just curious about this.

Seems like I see more and more homes in my area have the u shaped plastic
pipe coming out of their lawn.

Sure does look horrible.

Obviously, it's a vent that is over the septic tank itself, or possibly over
the leaching field.
Anyone know which ?

Years ago, you never saw these.
Is it a recent building code requirement (live in Mass.) ?

Why is it used, or required ?
What if it isn't used ?
etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

Back in the good ol days, sewer pipe was cast iron or terra
cotta. Very expensive and time consuming, not to mention
fragile. Nowadays we use PVC which is cheap and easy.

After a few times of having to dig up the yard to find where
the sewer line is clogged, you start putting in cleanouts
everywhere. Add a few places to put in chemicals if you need
them, too.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Allison wrote;

After a few times of having to dig up the
yard to find where the sewer line is
clogged, you start putting in cleanouts
everywhere.

I don't think he was referring to cleanouts. A lot of leach fields in
my area have vent tubes. Mine does not. I don't know what they are
needed for.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/24/2007 1:20 PM Robert11 said the following:
Hello,

Just curious about this.

Seems like I see more and more homes in my area have the u shaped plastic
pipe coming out of their lawn.

Sure does look horrible.

Obviously, it's a vent that is over the septic tank itself, or possibly over
the leaching field.
Anyone know which ?

Years ago, you never saw these.
Is it a recent building code requirement (live in Mass.) ?

Why is it used, or required ?
What if it isn't used ?
etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

Aeration for certain bacteria that need oxygen.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article on Mon, 24 Sep
2007 13:20:55 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

Hello,

Just curious about this.

Seems like I see more and more homes in my area have the u shaped plastic
pipe coming out of their lawn.

Sure does look horrible.

Obviously, it's a vent that is over the septic tank itself, or possibly over
the leaching field.
Anyone know which ?

Years ago, you never saw these.
Is it a recent building code requirement (live in Mass.) ?

Why is it used, or required ?
What if it isn't used ?
etc. ?

I live in Mass. too. When I bought my current house, the previous owner
had to replace the septic system. It was replaced after we moved in, so
I got to see the whole process.

The vent is at a corner of the leaching field. According to my
installer, the vent pipe is required by code to vent gases from the
leaching field. I believe he said it was required if the leaching field
was more than twelve inches below ground.

--
Seth Goodman

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seth Goodman wrote:

I live in Mass. too. When I bought my current house, the previous
owner had to replace the septic system. It was replaced after we
moved in, so I got to see the whole process.

The vent is at a corner of the leaching field. According to my
installer, the vent pipe is required by code to vent gases from the
leaching field. I believe he said it was required if the leaching
field was more than twelve inches below ground.

Yes. This is a code requirement to prevent your back yard from exploding.
Until you have seen (or worse, witnessed) an exploded backyard...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

Just curious about this.

Seems like I see more and more homes in my area have the u shaped plastic
pipe coming out of their lawn.

Sure does look horrible.

Obviously, it's a vent that is over the septic tank itself, or possibly
over the leaching field.
Anyone know which ?

Years ago, you never saw these.
Is it a recent building code requirement (live in Mass.) ?

Why is it used, or required ?
What if it isn't used ?
etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

The vent stacks only last a few years around here. People seem to whack
them off with their mowers and fail to replace them. But, wow, an exploding
lawn... never heard of or saw one. Sounds pretty icky if not unlikely
since I've been around in a septic field area all of my 50 odd years (some
more odd than others!). No flame intended to HeyBub.

Driving over septic system Pop Home Repair 0 July 23rd 06 08:14 PM
Septic System Help Joe Home Repair 8 October 19th 05 03:23 PM
Septic vent in yard - new odor JohnW Home Ownership 3 July 4th 05 10:31 PM
septic system gg Home Repair 1 June 20th 05 11:04 PM
Septic vent odor question Xeno Home Repair 8 July 20th 03 01:29 AM