Posted to alt.home.repair
Seth Goodman Seth Goodman is offline

Default Septic System Vent Tube ?

In article on Mon, 24 Sep
2007 13:20:55 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

Hello,

Just curious about this.

Seems like I see more and more homes in my area have the u shaped plastic
pipe coming out of their lawn.

Sure does look horrible.

Obviously, it's a vent that is over the septic tank itself, or possibly over
the leaching field.
Anyone know which ?

Years ago, you never saw these.
Is it a recent building code requirement (live in Mass.) ?

Why is it used, or required ?
What if it isn't used ?
etc. ?

I live in Mass. too. When I bought my current house, the previous owner
had to replace the septic system. It was replaced after we moved in, so
I got to see the whole process.

The vent is at a corner of the leaching field. According to my
installer, the vent pipe is required by code to vent gases from the
leaching field. I believe he said it was required if the leaching field
was more than twelve inches below ground.

--
Seth Goodman