Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

JohnW

Default Septic vent in yard - new odor

Our house is approximately 3 years old and we bought it last August 2004.
It has a septic system with drain fields, and a large candycane shaped vent
over the drain fields. Records show the previous owner had it pumped out
April 2004, and I had it pumped out earlier this month. There are 6 of us
in the house.

The weather has been rather dry lately, and I have noticed that the grass
over the septic system and drain fields is a bit greener than the other
parts of the yard. I have heard this can be a sign of a problem (but not
necessarily so) and I looked around the neighborhood and saw many similar
situations--perhaps this is the norm. Still a bit concerned, however, I
walked our yard yesterday (checking to see if the greener areas were spongy
or had an odor) and was unpleasantly surprised by a strong sewage odor
coming from the yard vent. We've been here 10 months, and spend
considerable time in the yard, and this is a first.

What should be my next step? Continue to monitor the situation or get an
assessment? A quick Google indicates this is not all that uncommon to have
an odor from the house or yard vent, and there are various recommendations
for carbon filters. Should I call the septic guy back and have an
inspection?

Thanks in advance.

John

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:36:25 -0400, someone wrote:

What should be my next step?

Hang out a couple of weeks, observe.

Don Phillipson

"JohnW" wrote in message

Our house is approximately 3 years old and we bought it last August 2004.
It has a septic system with drain fields, and a large candycane shaped

vent
. . .
The weather has been rather dry lately, and I have noticed that the grass
over the septic system and drain fields is a bit greener than the other
parts of the yard. I have heard this can be a sign of a problem (but not
necessarily so) and I looked around the neighborhood and saw many similar
situations--perhaps this is the norm.

It is normal for grass over the tile bed to be
greener than elsewhere, because better irrigated.

Still a bit concerned, however, I
walked our yard yesterday (checking to see if the greener areas were

spongy
or had an odor) and was unpleasantly surprised by a strong sewage odor
coming from the yard vent.

What is this "yard vent" ? Septic tanks hereabouts are
not vented. House piping is vented through the roof
(stack vent) and certain atmospheric conditions (usually
still air in winter) can bring stack vent smell to ground level.
But the OP says smell is local to the "yard vent."

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 07:58:56 -0400, someone wrote:

What is this "yard vent" ? Septic tanks hereabouts are
not vented. House piping is vented through the roof

Don,

In certain areas the custom (code requirement) is that there be a vent
at the end of the leach field that is away from the tank. Some people
regard this as a stupid requirement, but it is not unusual depending
on the area.