Xeno

Default Septic vent odor question

What's the best way of dealing with odor from the vent pipe of a
septic system? I've been told to flush down some additives to get bio
activity up, and I've also heard of carbon filters to put on the vent
pipe.

Anybody know how to handle this?

Gracias
Tom J

"Xeno" wrote in message
om...
What's the best way of dealing with odor from the vent pipe of a
septic system? I've been told to flush down some additives to get bio
activity up, and I've also heard of carbon filters to put on the vent
pipe.

Anybody know how to handle this?

Rid-X from the hardware store always works for me.

Tom J

jim

Xeno wrote:

What's the best way of dealing with odor from the vent pipe of a
septic system? I've been told to flush down some additives to get bio
activity up, and I've also heard of carbon filters to put on the vent
pipe.

Anybody know how to handle this?

Gracias

dont know if this works for odors, but was told by someone who has a
ceptic tank system that his father in law told him to take a pound of
ground beef and let it sit out in the sun for a day and then flush it
down the toilet... i guess this is to get the bio to start degrading???
dont know, but it might work..

Tom J

"Jon Endres, PE" wrote in message
Don't bother with the additives like the rest of these yahoos have been
suggesting. All they do is decompose and liquefy the solids in your tank,
thus increasing the likelihood that the solids will get past the baffle into
your leach field and plug it up. I swear that the stuff was invented by a
septic pumping company looking for more business.

Very strange then that our septic tank out at the farm that was installed over
50 years ago, has had the additives poured down the toilet every time it
started smelling and is still working just fine. The lid has never been off
the tank and the lines have never been dug and replaced. We'll stay with the
additives.

Tom J

Jon Endres, PE

"Tom J" wrote in message

[...]

Odds are pretty good that you have two things - a large drywell as a
disposal field, and very sandy or gravelly soils. Of course, it all
depends on use and abuse too. You may treat your system much differently
(better) than someone who is used to being connected to public sewer
systems.

Hope it stays working well for you.

Tom J

"Tom J" wrote in message

[...]

There is no dry well, but the soil is deep in the area (about 15 feet to hard
pan) and contains lots of sand. The part that is very important that you
mention is what is poured down the drains (abuse). That's another reason the
drain field has never clogged.

That's the reason the system still works after all these years, we all watch
what goes down the drains, including what the house keeper is using, and as I
said in another post, use Rid-X if the vent starts smelling. When the ladies
use to use yeast in their cooking we used that also, but they quit using yeast
years ago - turned into city girls!! :-(

Tom J