Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default Septic System Vent Tube ?

Robert11 wrote:

Hello,

Just curious about this.

Seems like I see more and more homes in my area have the u shaped plastic
pipe coming out of their lawn.

Sure does look horrible.

Obviously, it's a vent that is over the septic tank itself, or possibly over
the leaching field.
Anyone know which ?

Years ago, you never saw these.
Is it a recent building code requirement (live in Mass.) ?

Why is it used, or required ?
What if it isn't used ?
etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

Back in the good ol days, sewer pipe was cast iron or terra
cotta. Very expensive and time consuming, not to mention
fragile. Nowadays we use PVC which is cheap and easy.

After a few times of having to dig up the yard to find where
the sewer line is clogged, you start putting in cleanouts
everywhere. Add a few places to put in chemicals if you need
them, too.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.