Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint sprayer for large area

I'm looking for recommendations for a paint sprayer to do some large areas.
It is pretty much a one time deal so I don't want a $10,000 pro rig, but I
don't want a Wagner toy either.

We'll be painting 25,000 square feet of ceiling and about 16,000 square
feet of wall. I'd like to be able to attach it to a 5 gallon pail and let
loose. Paint will be latex. Next year we may do the outside but they that
will be it for 5 years or so.

Any suggestions? $500 to $750 would be a good budget number.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:47:38 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations for a paint sprayer to do some large areas.
It is pretty much a one time deal so I don't want a $10,000 pro rig, but I
don't want a Wagner toy either.

We'll be painting 25,000 square feet of ceiling and about 16,000 square
feet of wall. I'd like to be able to attach it to a 5 gallon pail and let
loose. Paint will be latex. Next year we may do the outside but they that
will be it for 5 years or so.

Any suggestions? $500 to $750 would be a good budget number.

Graco Magnum XR-9 Airless Sprayer.

I've used one to paint several homes. It is a work horse, IMO. Look at
them in the borg.

Regular price: $795.00
YOUR price: $565.00
http://www.bankstonspaint.com/magnumxr9.html

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 19, 12:47 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a paint sprayer to do some large areas.
It is pretty much a one time deal so I don't want a $10,000 pro rig, but I
don't want a Wagner toy either.

We'll be painting 25,000 square feet of ceiling and about 16,000 square
feet of wall. I'd like to be able to attach it to a 5 gallon pail and let
loose. Paint will be latex. Next year we may do the outside but they that
will be it for 5 years or so.

Any suggestions? $500 to $750 would be a good budget number.

Simple. Go down to your pro paint store and rent a Graco machine.
Other airless brands may work as well but Graco has been around a long
time. Before committing, though, ask the store personnel if there are
any active jobs that you could go look at and perhaps quiz the crew as
to their hints and tips to make it go fast. Put a 12-pack on the back
of the truck if you catch them at the end of the day. It's said that
painters like their beer a bit more tha other tradesmen. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message

Simple. Go down to your pro paint store and rent a Graco machine.
Other airless brands may work as well but Graco has been around a long
time.

I checked rental at $80 a day, it is worth buying. Two recommendations for
Graco so far so that sounds like a good bet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:19:06 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

Simple. Go down to your pro paint store and rent a Graco machine.
Other airless brands may work as well but Graco has been around a long
time.

I checked rental at $80 a day, it is worth buying. Two recommendations for
Graco so far so that sounds like a good bet.

The machine is worth buying! (Optional accessories like a roller kit
and handle extension are worth the extra cost)

Another link* has free shipping and no tax. Cost for the XR9 $565.00.
About seven days rental cost.

*
http://paintsprayersplus.com/product/ZGS232-750

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message

Simple. Go down to your pro paint store and rent a Graco machine.
Other airless brands may work as well but Graco has been around a long
time.

I checked rental at $80 a day, it is worth buying. Two recommendations for
Graco so far so that sounds like a good bet.

Edwin, regardless of the brand of airless sprayer that you get, be sure to
strain the paint before putting it through the machine. Otherwise you will
spend a lot of time cleaning out the nozzle. You should be able to get paint
strainers at a paint store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

Another link* has free shipping and no tax. Cost for the XR9 $565.00.
About seven days rental cost.

*
http://paintsprayersplus.com/product/ZGS232-750

This morning I had an hour to kill waiting for my wife so I went tot he Home
Depot across the street. I figured I could see one first hand, especially
since they listed the XR7 for $499 in the sale flyer in today's paper.

Turns out, the eastern MA stores are trying the Titan line. I'll be
ordering hte Graco from the above web site.

Now, to decide what paint to use. Metal ceiling panels, block walls with
paint already on them.
Ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:00:40 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message

Another link* has free shipping and no tax. Cost for the XR9 $565.00.
About seven days rental cost.

*
http://paintsprayersplus.com/product/ZGS232-750

This morning I had an hour to kill waiting for my wife so I went tot he Home
Depot across the street. I figured I could see one first hand, especially
since they listed the XR7 for $499 in the sale flyer in today's paper.

Turns out, the eastern MA stores are trying the Titan line. I'll be
ordering hte Graco from the above web site.

I'm certain you'll be happy with the XR-9. As I mentioned I painted
several homes with one (borrowed from friend). Ensure a good clean up
at the end of the day and follow long term storage recommendations.

The comment to strain the paint before use is dead on target. The borg
has 5 gallon mesh strainers that sit in the bucket. Put the strainer
in an empty homer bucket and pour the new bucket of paint into the
strainer and move the strainer to the other bucket.

Now, to decide what paint to use. Metal ceiling panels, block walls with
paint already on them.
Ed

The manual states these can be used with this sprayer:

Light to Heavy Thickness

• Varnishes • Stains
• Polyurethanes • Sealers
• Oil-based paints • Enamels
• Latex primers • Primers
• 100% Acrylics • Latex paints

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks to all for the help. We're about two - three weeks away from
painting. Roofers are doing their thing right now and some steel panels
have to be replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 01:42:04 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:
Thanks to all for the help. We're about two - three weeks away from
painting. Roofers are doing their thing right now and some steel panels
have to be replaced.

Report back....

--
Oren

Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The magnum IS a graco product. I also have the xr9 and have to date run 35
gallons through it. Haven't strained an ounce of it. Popped the lid on the
5 gallon bucket, set the machine down into it and spray away. First 15
gallons was semigloss interior trim paint, and the next 20 was exterior
latex. I don't know how we did without this machine.

steve

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

I checked rental at $80 a day, it is worth buying. Two recommendations for
Graco so far so that sounds like a good bet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:15:30 -0500, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

The magnum IS a graco product. I also have the xr9 and have to date run 35
gallons through it. Haven't strained an ounce of it. Popped the lid on the
5 gallon bucket, set the machine down into it and spray away. First 15
gallons was semigloss interior trim paint, and the next 20 was exterior
latex. I don't know how we did without this machine.

steve

I sprayed a number a buckets of paint, before I started to strain the
paint.

I ended up with splatters/clots of paint on the wall (interior) and
sprayer tip. I won't spray paint without straining. Beats cleaning the
particles off the wall. Makes for a nicer job.

--
Oren

Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The magnum IS a graco product. I also have the xr9 and have to date run
35
gallons through it. Haven't strained an ounce of it. Popped the lid on
the
5 gallon bucket, set the machine down into it and spray away. First 15
gallons was semigloss interior trim paint, and the next 20 was exterior
latex. I don't know how we did without this machine.

steve

I sprayed a number a buckets of paint, before I started to strain the
paint.

I ended up with splatters/clots of paint on the wall (interior) and
sprayer tip. I won't spray paint without straining. Beats cleaning the
particles off the wall. Makes for a nicer job.

--
Oren

I buy those 99 cent sock filters The Borg sells, and put them over the
intake with a pull tie securing it to the snorkel of the airless. I figure
there's not a lot of sense to strain all that paint when the sock will keep
big particles from getting in there. What I do, though, is take my squirrel
caged shaped paint mixer on a rod and put it on a drill motor and stir the
paint for about five minutes on high. Those agitators are the best thing I
have ever used to mix paint. Make sure to get all around the bottom.
Everything gets a thorough mixing, and when I'm done, I toss the sock.
There is also a fine mesh strainer on the end of my Graco XR7 intake hose.

Man, talk about spraying a lot of paint in a short time, airless is the way
to go, and a good airless beats the fire out of a crappy one. They are not
for all jobs, and have horrible overspray problems. But in the right
applications, they're the cat's meow.

Steve

Paint sprayer & latex paint Adam Preble Home Repair 3 May 27th 06 01:57 PM
Paint Sprayer Setup [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 11th 06 03:02 PM
Paint sprayer Jim Mac Home Repair 2 June 4th 05 01:33 PM
Paint Sprayer Preferences? JJC Home Repair 3 May 27th 05 12:32 AM
Paint Sprayer Recommendations Celtfire Home Repair 0 May 6th 05 06:56 PM