Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Paint sprayer for large area

"Oren" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:15:30 -0500, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

The magnum IS a graco product. I also have the xr9 and have to date run
35
gallons through it. Haven't strained an ounce of it. Popped the lid on
the
5 gallon bucket, set the machine down into it and spray away. First 15
gallons was semigloss interior trim paint, and the next 20 was exterior
latex. I don't know how we did without this machine.

steve

I sprayed a number a buckets of paint, before I started to strain the
paint.

I ended up with splatters/clots of paint on the wall (interior) and
sprayer tip. I won't spray paint without straining. Beats cleaning the
particles off the wall. Makes for a nicer job.

--
Oren

I buy those 99 cent sock filters The Borg sells, and put them over the
intake with a pull tie securing it to the snorkel of the airless. I figure
there's not a lot of sense to strain all that paint when the sock will keep
big particles from getting in there. What I do, though, is take my squirrel
caged shaped paint mixer on a rod and put it on a drill motor and stir the
paint for about five minutes on high. Those agitators are the best thing I
have ever used to mix paint. Make sure to get all around the bottom.
Everything gets a thorough mixing, and when I'm done, I toss the sock.
There is also a fine mesh strainer on the end of my Graco XR7 intake hose.

Man, talk about spraying a lot of paint in a short time, airless is the way
to go, and a good airless beats the fire out of a crappy one. They are not
for all jobs, and have horrible overspray problems. But in the right
applications, they're the cat's meow.

Steve