Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wiring a outside hot tub

I have a 12/240v hot tub with a 50 amp breaker in my disconnect box.
What I need to do now is wire the disconnect box to my main box that
is in my basement. What wire do I need? or can I use the same
disconnect box as my a/c unit that is about 6 feet away?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You will have to check the code on this, but it is highly likely you
need a separate disconnect box. I put a hot tub in a couple of years
ago in a house I owned. There were pretty specific instructions on the
electrical work. I had a three pole disconnect with ground. Ran line
to the hot tub. From the disconnect box, I ran the same three
conductor + ground to my main box, which had a two pole GFI. Don't
remember the wire size, but it was pretty heavy stuff. The usual
clamps, etc.

When away, or servicing the tub, just used the disconnect, and tested
the GFI now and then. It was a pretty cool design. The tub's
electronics used the GFI as a "trip" to shut down in case of
overtemperature, etc, etc.,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 18, 10:00 am, professorpaul wrote:
[...]

There are specific reqts for spas that must be followed. Among them
is a means of disconnect located where it's not far from the spa and
easily accessible, no electrical switches, fixtures, outlets,
disconnects, etc withing a close radius ( it's ~7ft), GFCI, and all
metal near the spa bonded to it.

If you're asking if you can share the line with the AC, clearly you
don't have the skills to do this yourself. Call an electrician. Is it
worth the risk to yourself and guests? What happens if someone is
killed and you get sued?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 18, 8:23 am, wrote:
I have a 12/240v hot tub with a 50 amp breaker in my disconnect box.
What I need to do now is wire the disconnect box to my main box that
is in my basement. What wire do I need? or can I use the same
disconnect box as my a/c unit that is about 6 feet away?

I installed one and you need to check the codes closely, my town
required a local ground rod as well as the house ground if set
outdoors, the inspector measured the distances from the water edge not
the tub edge to any other electricals (in gazebo). I would not share
the AC box and chances are the AC conduit does not have enough room
for the #6 wire you'll need to run back to the main anyway. Mine was
also 50 amps total but had 2 local gfci's one 30 amp for the heaters
and a 20 amp for the pumps.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

NEC requires 6/3 with ground, GFCI protected, no disconnect at tub location
for single family dwelling, but if you install one, it must be 5 feet away
from tub. GFCI protected outlet for general use, must be installed between 5
and 10 feet from tub. Anything conductive that's within 5 feet of tub must
be bonded together and to tubs grounding system

wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a 12/240v hot tub with a 50 amp breaker in my disconnect box.
What I need to do now is wire the disconnect box to my main box that
is in my basement. What wire do I need? or can I use the same
disconnect box as my a/c unit that is about 6 feet away?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
NEC requires 6/3 with ground, GFCI protected, no disconnect at tub

location
for single family dwelling, but if you install one, it must be 5 feet away
from tub. GFCI protected outlet for general use, must be installed between

5
and 10 feet from tub. Anything conductive that's within 5 feet of tub must
be bonded together and to tubs grounding system

It is important to read the instructions that came with the hot tub. I had
an installation that required the grounding conductor to be the same size as
the feeders. I'm glad that I read the manual because the inspector asked to
read it too.

ps.com...