Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OLD WIRING

I HAVE AN OLD HOUSE 1952,THERE WAS AN ADDITION AND A NEW BOX INSIDE
THE HOUSE,AND THERE ARE SOME OLD WIRING THAT ARE BOTH WHITE AND THAT
WORRIES ME,ESPECIALLY THAT I HAVE HIGH LIGHT BILLS,I CAN READ 120 V
BETWEEN HOT AND GROUND BUT INT HE OLD AREAS THERE IS NO GROUND
WIRE.HELP GUYS.

THANK YOU

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you are worried about safety, call an electrician and have him inspect
the wiring.

If you want all the wiring brought up to code, call several electricians and
get estimates to have your house re-wired.

If you want to save on your electric bill, new wiring will not do this.
However learning about energy savings will help. You can get new "Energy
Star" appliances, install compact flourescent bulbs, get a solar water
heater, add more insulation to your home, install new "Energy Star" windows,
etc. Here are some energy and money saving links...

Energy saving tips...
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/consumer/tips/
http://www.energystar.gov

Frugal living...
http://www.google.com/search?num=20&...=frugal+living

wrote in message
ps.com...
I HAVE AN OLD HOUSE 1952,THERE WAS AN ADDITION AND A NEW BOX INSIDE
THE HOUSE,AND THERE ARE SOME OLD WIRING THAT ARE BOTH WHITE AND THAT
WORRIES ME,ESPECIALLY THAT I HAVE HIGH LIGHT BILLS,I CAN READ 120 V
BETWEEN HOT AND GROUND BUT INT HE OLD AREAS THERE IS NO GROUND
WIRE.HELP GUYS.

THANK YOU

Posted to alt.home.repair

Energy saving tips...http://www1.eere.energy.gov/consumer...energystar.gov

Frugal living...http://www.google.com/search?num=20&...=frugal+living

wrote in message

ps.com...

I HAVE AN OLD HOUSE 1952,THERE WAS AN ADDITION AND A NEW BOX INSIDE
THE HOUSE,AND THERE ARE SOME OLD WIRING THAT ARE BOTH WHITE AND THAT
WORRIES ME,ESPECIALLY THAT I HAVE HIGH LIGHT BILLS,I CAN READ 120 V
BETWEEN HOT AND GROUND BUT INT HE OLD AREAS THERE IS NO GROUND
WIRE.HELP GUYS.

THANK YOU- Hide quoted text -

question about having your house re-wired. If the existing wires are
all snugly clamped to the framing, then how are the old wires
removed? Does all the drywall have to come off, or would all the old
wiring be disconnected from the main circuit box and just left alone
while new wires are fished thru?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 11:52?am, saag
question about having your house re-wired. If the existing wires are
all snugly clamped to the framing, then how are the old wires
removed? Does all the drywall have to come off, or would all the old
wiring be disconnected from the main circuit box and just left alone
while new wires are fished thru?- Hide quoted text -

Yeah that hows its done run all new wiring and likely new breaker
box / service entrance.

Its a excellent thing to do adds safety, and convenience.

What you probably have is knob and tube wiring, which often causes
trouble getting homeowners insurance.

Although sadly it wouldnt save money on your electric bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 14:28:11 +0000, samhou2001 wrote:

I HAVE AN OLD HOUSE 1952,THERE WAS AN ADDITION AND A NEW BOX INSIDE
THE HOUSE,AND THERE ARE SOME OLD WIRING THAT ARE BOTH WHITE AND THAT
WORRIES ME,ESPECIALLY THAT I HAVE HIGH LIGHT BILLS,I CAN READ 120 V
BETWEEN HOT AND GROUND BUT INT HE OLD AREAS THERE IS NO GROUND
WIRE.HELP GUYS.

What do you want help with?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 11:20 am, " wrote:
On Jun 8, 11:52?am, saag

question about having your house re-wired. If the existing wires are
all snugly clamped to the framing, then how are theoldwires
removed? Does all the drywall have to come off, or would all theold
wiringbe disconnected from the main circuit box and just left alone
while new wires are fished thru?- Hide quoted text -

Yeah that hows its done run all newwiringand likely new breaker
box / service entrance.

Its a excellent thing to do adds safety, and convenience.

What you probably have is knob and tube wiring, which often causes
trouble getting homeowners insurance.

Although sadly it wouldnt save money on your electric bill

I appreciate your response,There is no knob & tube,but some areas has
2 white wires,and others have b&w ,my question is fire safety,Since
someone can read 120v between hot and ground,Now which white wire
suppose to be hot?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 9:37?am, wrote:
On Jun 8, 11:20 am, " wrote:

On Jun 8, 11:52?am, saag

question about having your house re-wired. If the existing wires are
all snugly clamped to the framing, then how are theoldwires
removed? Does all the drywall have to come off, or would all theold
wiringbe disconnected from the main circuit box and just left alone
while new wires are fished thru?- Hide quoted text -

Yeah that hows its done run all newwiringand likely new breaker
box / service entrance.

Its a excellent thing to do adds safety, and convenience.

What you probably have is knob and tube wiring, which often causes
trouble getting homeowners insurance.

Although sadly it wouldnt save money on your electric bill

I appreciate your response,There is no knob & tube,but some areas has
2 white wires,and others have b&w ,my question is fire safety,Since
someone can read 120v between hot and ground,Now which white wire
suppose to be hot?- Hide quoted text -

have you ever seen knob and tube wiring, it looks as you describe

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 12:57:20 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 12:43:06 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 09:42:18 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

I appreciate your response,There is no knob & tube,but some areas has
2 white wires,and others have b&w ,my question is fire safety,Since
someone can read 120v between hot and ground,Now which white wire
suppose to be hot?

Black wire is hot.

The place where you can have a white wire connected to the hot side is
in a switch loop using a cable like Romex. You are supposed to
reidentify the white to some other color but that is a fairly new
rule. When you use a cable fior a switch loop you feed the hot into
the white and the black is the switched return so the installer at the
light fixture end is presented with a hot black (switched leg) and the
regular white neutral. At the source end seeing a white under a
wirenut with a black should tip you off that this is a switch leg.

oooh that made my brain hurt. we wuz chatting about just plain old wirez.

Switch legs using Romex is about as "plain" an "old wire" as you can
get. There is at least one in most ceiling boxes unless you live in
Chicago. (Romex is illegal there)

Why would Romex be illegal in Chicago?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Eigenvector wrote:
wrote in message

Chicago. (Romex is illegal there)

Why would Romex be illegal in Chicago?

Union controlled writing the local codes...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Eigenvector" wrote:

Why would Romex be illegal in Chicago?

Chicago has probably the most restrictive electrical codes anywhere in the
United States. Something to do with being worried about big fires...

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 16:28:14 -0500, Harry
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 09:24:01 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:

On Jun 8, 11:20 am, " wrote:
On Jun 8, 11:52?am, saag

[...]

If there's two white wires instead of one black and one white, you can
determine which white wire is hot very easily by measuring from them to
a known ground somewhere else in the house. Alternatively, while
standing in a bathtub full of water, firmly grab each of the whites. The
one that kills you is hot.

Then you back up in time, mark that wire with a piece of black tape,
and don't touch it.

Or just put a label on the wall, "Don't touch the lethal wire."

Wiring a Generator Independent of the house's wiring Carl Home Repair 16 May 12th 06 04:28 PM
Wiring certificate and standards for household wiring D.M. Procida UK diy 5 March 10th 06 10:09 AM
Wiring problems, and possibly unsafe old wiring [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 16th 05 04:13 AM
Outside wiring Eddy UK diy 12 January 13th 05 10:35 PM
wiring problem wioth loop in wiring and two way switching chrisc UK diy 2 December 28th 04 08:11 PM