Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben Ben is offline

Default Tightening slip nut inside sink pedestal --- help!

I just installed a pedestal sink. I attached all the plumbing after
the pedestal was in place, since that was the only way I could see to
work things. After I had it all together, I discovered a small leak
at the slip nut where the drain tailpipe extension attaches to the p-
trap. Because this nut is inside the pedestal and behind the p-trap,
I can't get at it with any tool to tighten it. I bought an adjustable
spud wrench today, but it's simply too big to fit inside there. The
back of the pedestal is about 7" from the wall.

Any ideas how I can tighten this a little more? How can I get into
that small space?

Thanks in advance,
-Ben

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ben wrote:
I just installed a pedestal sink. I attached all the plumbing after
the pedestal was in place, since that was the only way I could see to
work things. After I had it all together, I discovered a small leak
at the slip nut where the drain tailpipe extension attaches to the p-
trap. Because this nut is inside the pedestal and behind the p-trap,
I can't get at it with any tool to tighten it. I bought an adjustable
spud wrench today, but it's simply too big to fit inside there. The
back of the pedestal is about 7" from the wall.

Any ideas how I can tighten this a little more? How can I get into
that small space?

Thanks in advance,
-Ben

There is a "strap wrench" which might reach in.
Maybe make one out of a men's belt?

Apply a good-size glob of silicone caulk to the
tailpiece after the slip nut and washer are on.
Then it will seal with the nut only finger tight.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 6:58 pm, Ben wrote:
I just installed a pedestal sink. I attached all the plumbing after
the pedestal was in place, since that was the only way I could see to
work things. After I had it all together, I discovered a small leak
at the slip nut where the drain tailpipe extension attaches to the p-
trap. Because this nut is inside the pedestal and behind the p-trap,
I can't get at it with any tool to tighten it. I bought an adjustable
spud wrench today, but it's simply too big to fit inside there. The
back of the pedestal is about 7" from the wall.

Any ideas how I can tighten this a little more? How can I get into
that small space?

Thanks in advance,
-Ben

How about a strap wrench?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ben" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just installed a pedestal sink. I attached all the plumbing after
the pedestal was in place, since that was the only way I could see to
work things. After I had it all together, I discovered a small leak
at the slip nut where the drain tailpipe extension attaches to the p-
trap. Because this nut is inside the pedestal and behind the p-trap,
I can't get at it with any tool to tighten it. I bought an adjustable
spud wrench today, but it's simply too big to fit inside there. The
back of the pedestal is about 7" from the wall.

Any ideas how I can tighten this a little more? How can I get into
that small space?

Thanks in advance,
-Ben

Maybe take the sink back out of its installed position? You have to be able
to service the plumbing so it should not be permanently inaccessible.
However you do it know will be how you do it in the future. If it is worth
it, you could possibly fabricate a special wrench.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 3:58 pm, Ben wrote:
I just installed a pedestal sink. I attached all the plumbing after
the pedestal was in place, since that was the only way I could see to
work things. After I had it all together, I discovered a small leak
at the slip nut where the drain tailpipe extension attaches to the p-
trap. Because this nut is inside the pedestal and behind the p-trap,
I can't get at it with any tool to tighten it. I bought an adjustable
spud wrench today, but it's simply too big to fit inside there. The
back of the pedestal is about 7" from the wall.

Any ideas how I can tighten this a little more? How can I get into
that small space?

Thanks in advance,
-Ben

"Spud wrench"? Hadn't heard that term before. Google shows a weird
type of crescent wrench.

How about a basin wrench - works in tight places are right angles. I
don't know if one would open far enough for the slip nut though and
don't want to dig through my wreck of a toolbox looking for mine.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 17, 5:58 pm, Ben wrote:
I just installed a pedestal sink. I attached all the plumbing after
the pedestal was in place, since that was the only way I could see to
work things. After I had it all together, I discovered a small leak
at the slip nut where the drain tailpipe extension attaches to the p-
trap. Because this nut is inside the pedestal and behind the p-trap,
I can't get at it with any tool to tighten it. I bought an adjustable
spud wrench today, but it's simply too big to fit inside there. The
back of the pedestal is about 7" from the wall.

Any ideas how I can tighten this a little more? How can I get into
that small space?

Thanks in advance,
-Ben

Congratulations! You've just been bit by the 'fashion over function'
syndrome. Now you don't have the practicality of a vanity with access
to the plumbing, and you've also lost valuable storage space. Maybe
you should get rid of it and replace it with the even more impractical
'vessel' sink. And have the faucets jut out of the wall, adding even
more maintenance trouble and expense.
Seriously, a lot of the fashionable do overs from the past are not
very easy to live with. When designers call the shots, the engineers
can't always correct their blunders. Be smart and be critical. Let
SWMBO pick the coors and you do the important stuff. Cheers,

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 10:33 pm, Joe wrote:
On Sep 17, 5:58 pm, Ben wrote:

[...]

Wow. You've really got a thing against pedestal sinks. I've got one
too because I don't keep my wife in her place well enough. Now I
don't have any space to keep my aqua velva.
Anyway, I think all he needs is a basin wrench. It'll come in handy
even for well engineered vanities and kitchen sinks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Sep 18, 9:59 am, frank megaweege wrote:
On Sep 17, 10:33 pm, Joe wrote:

On Sep 17, 5:58 pm, Ben wrote:

[...]

even for well engineered vanities and kitchen sinks.- Hide quoted text -

Try a clamp wrench have carried on for years just for thet reason
Basin won't open big enough to do 11\4tailpiece nut on trap. The
silicon over the top will probaly seal it but is not the way I would
do it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 7:33 pm, Joe wrote:
On Sep 17, 5:58 pm, Ben wrote:

[...]

Amen! I often wonder just how many women fall out of love with their
retro clawfit tubs the 2nd time they have to clean around/under them.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/18/2007 10:59 AM frank megaweege said the following:
On Sep 17, 10:33 pm, Joe wrote:

On Sep 17, 5:58 pm, Ben wrote:

[...]

When I built my house in 1984, my SWMBO insisted on a pedestal sink,
whereas I wanted a cabinet sink. Naturally, I lost. She picked it out
and I installed it. After that, I often complained that anything put
down on the edge would fall into the bowl, and there was no place to
store anything, like soap bars, face cloths, and bathroom cleaning
products, she never said a word. After a couple of years, when she
thought that I would not remember who wanted the pedestal sink in the
first place, she wanted to 'do over' the bathroom, which 'do over'
consisted of a repaint, and changing of the pedestal sink to a cabinet
sink. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Sep 17, 3:58 pm, Ben wrote:
[...]

I did same googling. Basin wrench should do it. I have one,only ever
used it once but it was worth the purchase, as is any simple tool to put
off having to hire a plumber.

Frank