Posted to alt.home.repair
frank megaweege frank megaweege is offline

Default Tightening slip nut inside sink pedestal --- help!

On Sep 17, 10:33 pm, Joe wrote:
On Sep 17, 5:58 pm, Ben wrote:

I just installed a pedestal sink. I attached all the plumbing after
the pedestal was in place, since that was the only way I could see to
work things. After I had it all together, I discovered a small leak
at the slip nut where the drain tailpipe extension attaches to the p-
trap. Because this nut is inside the pedestal and behind the p-trap,
I can't get at it with any tool to tighten it. I bought an adjustable
spud wrench today, but it's simply too big to fit inside there. The
back of the pedestal is about 7" from the wall.

Any ideas how I can tighten this a little more? How can I get into
that small space?

Thanks in advance,
-Ben

Congratulations! You've just been bit by the 'fashion over function'
syndrome. Now you don't have the practicality of a vanity with access
to the plumbing, and you've also lost valuable storage space. Maybe
you should get rid of it and replace it with the even more impractical
'vessel' sink. And have the faucets jut out of the wall, adding even
more maintenance trouble and expense.
Seriously, a lot of the fashionable do overs from the past are not
very easy to live with. When designers call the shots, the engineers
can't always correct their blunders. Be smart and be critical. Let
SWMBO pick the coors and you do the important stuff. Cheers,

Wow. You've really got a thing against pedestal sinks. I've got one
too because I don't keep my wife in her place well enough. Now I
don't have any space to keep my aqua velva.
Anyway, I think all he needs is a basin wrench. It'll come in handy
even for well engineered vanities and kitchen sinks.