Posted to alt.home.repair
al al is offline

Default two ladders and a board for scaffold?

Started doing some repairs and painting of fascia and soffit but my
knees can't take going up and down a ladder. Would a 1X12X12 between
two step ladders work alright for scaffolding?

Posted to alt.home.repair

al wrote:
Started doing some repairs and painting of fascia and soffit but my
knees can't take going up and down a ladder. Would a 1X12X12 between
two step ladders work alright for scaffolding?

yea, unless you fall off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 9:44 am, al wrote:
Started doing some repairs and painting of fascia and soffit but my
knees can't take going up and down a ladder. Would a 1X12X12 between
two step ladders work alright for scaffolding?

I wouldnt use a 1x board because dressed thats only 3\4 of an inch .If
It was me I would
go rent a scaffold board of alum or what they may have. But be sure
and let them know
what u r using it for.
builderb

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mick wrote:
al wrote:
Started doing some repairs and painting of fascia and soffit but my
knees can't take going up and down a ladder. Would a 1X12X12 between
two step ladders work alright for scaffolding?

yea, unless you fall off.

A 1x12 ain't even close to being strong enough to be safe as a walkboard...

A sound 2x12 would be adequate depending on the weight but will still be
pretty "springy"...

As someone else noted, renting or purchasing a walkboard would be a
reasonable solution. Also, there is a class of lumber that is
ANSI-stamped as "scaffolding-rated" but if OP can even find it locally,
it will probably be as expensive if not more than Al scaffold walkboard.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

On Sep 7, 9:44?am, al wrote:
Started doing some repairs and painting of fascia and soffit but my
knees can't take going up and down a ladder. Would a 1X12X12 between
two step ladders work alright for scaffolding?

I've done it this way, but make sure those ladders are adequately
rated for the load, and brace them or secure to house in some way if
they seem at all tippy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7 Sep, 10:22, (DT) wrote:
In article om,
says...

Started doing some repairs and painting of fascia and soffit but my
knees can't take going up and down a ladder. Would a 1X12X12 between
two step ladders work alright for scaffolding?

A 2x12 will work fine, not a 1x12. If you want to make an excellent plank, use
the 2x12 and screw a 2x4 or 2x3 under each edge. This is way stiffer than most
aluminum planks. I have a pair made that way that I use when I don't want to
get out my 24' aluminum plank.

Run a rope between the ladders to act as a catch rail, or better yet, clamp a
2x4 between them as long as you can get it high enough so it doesn't become its
own trip hazard.

Be aware that using a plank between step ladders does not provide sideways
stability like ladder jacks would do. Don't push off on the house or the whole
thing can topple if not otherwise restrained.

--
Dennis

If you want to make an excellent plank, use the 2x12 and screw a
2x4 or 2x3 under each edge.

I'm sure Dennis meant to add this:

Turn the 2x4 on edge for strength. Lying it flat won't add much
stabilty at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

al wrote:
Started doing some repairs and painting of fascia and soffit but my
knees can't take going up and down a ladder. Would a 1X12X12 between
two step ladders work alright for scaffolding?

You can use four milk crates cobbled together with wire like this:

XXX

A lightweight, easily moved, stepping device.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 10:08 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
al wrote:
Started doing some repairs and painting of fascia and soffit but my
knees can't take going up and down a ladder. Would a 1X12X12 between
two step ladders work alright for scaffolding?

You can use four milk crates cobbled together with wire like this:

XXX

A lightweight, easily moved, stepping device.

Scafolding is not as safe as having a ladder infront of you, your
knees are weak from not being used. a 1x12 is not enough. setting up
scaffolding is alot more work than moving a ladder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

al wrote:
Started doing some repairs and painting of fascia and soffit but my
knees can't take going up and down a ladder. Would a 1X12X12
between two step ladders work alright for scaffolding?

Only if you glue/screw/nail two or three 1x3x12s on edge underneath
it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

DT wrote:
says...

Started doing some repairs and painting of fascia and soffit but my
knees can't take going up and down a ladder. Would a 1X12X12 between
two step ladders work alright for scaffolding?

I = bh^3/12 = 11.25x0.75^3/12 = 0.396 in^4, s = 1000 psi, c = 0.375",
M = sI/c = 1055 in-lb = 6x12W = W = 15 lb.

A 2x12 will work fine...

I = 11.25x1.5^3/12 = 3.16 in^4, s = 1000 psi, c = 0.75",
M = 4219 in-lb = W = 59 lb?

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

YEP.

"al" wrote in message
ps.com...
Started doing some repairs and painting of fascia and soffit but my
knees can't take going up and down a ladder. Would a 1X12X12 between
two step ladders work alright for scaffolding?

Posted to alt.home.repair

YEP if it's a TWO by 12. I mis read that.

"al" wrote in message
ps.com...
Started doing some repairs and painting of fascia and soffit but my
knees can't take going up and down a ladder. Would a 1X12X12 between
two step ladders work alright for scaffolding?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 06:44:57 -0700, al wrote:

Started doing some repairs and painting of fascia and soffit but my
knees can't take going up and down a ladder. Would a 1X12X12 between
two step ladders work alright for scaffolding?

Sounds a little risky. The genuine scaffolding is the best choice
and well worth the rental fee.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-09-07, Caesar Romano wrote:
A 2x12 will work fine...

I = 11.25x1.5^3/12 = 3.16 in^4, s = 1000 psi, c = 0.75",
M = 4219 in-lb = W = 59 lb?

Is "c" the deflection at mid-point?

"c" is half the height of the beam, i.e. the distance from the
centroid to the extreme fiber.

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

Scaffolding would be a much safer option, but wouldn't help with your
knee problem. I think it would be very difficult to get good stability
with a plank and stepladders, and on a plank you have to rely on agility
that your knees may no longer have. I do use a 1x12 on an articulated
ladder to work on my boat, but I am not going very high to do that. The
articulated ladder supports the board about every three feet. For a
longer span, I would want a plank (the planks I have seen flex far less
than dimensional lumber, but I suppose adding a strengthening rail to a
2x12 would give good stability, too. The advantage, to me, of a plank
is that the length can be varied to fit the job, or the storage area.

Renting an elevating platform would be your best solution as you could
ride up and down to just where you want to be. I think some can even be
driven along while you are elevated, but I'd rather ride down and check
the footing when you have to move more than the length of the platform.
A cherry picker would also work, but I think their rental is higher.

scaffold towers best ones gort UK diy 4 August 6th 06 01:36 PM
Scaffold Planks John UK diy 8 March 12th 05 04:28 PM
Ladder or scaffold barry martin Home Repair 2 September 6th 04 02:21 AM
Ladder or scaffold arjay Home Repair 5 September 2nd 04 05:34 AM
Scaffold tubes Simon UK diy 7 July 8th 03 10:57 PM