Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default two ladders and a board for scaffold?

On 7 Sep, 10:22, (DT) wrote:
In article om,
says...

Started doing some repairs and painting of fascia and soffit but my
knees can't take going up and down a ladder. Would a 1X12X12 between
two step ladders work alright for scaffolding?

A 2x12 will work fine, not a 1x12. If you want to make an excellent plank, use
the 2x12 and screw a 2x4 or 2x3 under each edge. This is way stiffer than most
aluminum planks. I have a pair made that way that I use when I don't want to
get out my 24' aluminum plank.

Run a rope between the ladders to act as a catch rail, or better yet, clamp a
2x4 between them as long as you can get it high enough so it doesn't become its
own trip hazard.

Be aware that using a plank between step ladders does not provide sideways
stability like ladder jacks would do. Don't push off on the house or the whole
thing can topple if not otherwise restrained.

--
Dennis

If you want to make an excellent plank, use the 2x12 and screw a
2x4 or 2x3 under each edge.

I'm sure Dennis meant to add this:

Turn the 2x4 on edge for strength. Lying it flat won't add much
stabilty at all.