barry martin

Default Ladder or scaffold

Arjay:

A I am going to paint my living room that has a 17 foot high ceiling. I
A must be able to reach the top because I need to fix popped nails, so
A stretching is not really an option.
A Would I be better off to buy a very tall ladder or rent scaffolding?
A I have to work alone, so I need what is easiest to use and is the
A safest.

Rent scaffolding. A ladder at that height (even half that height) is
unsafe because one is pretty much bound to stretch a little, cause the
ladder to become imbalanced and slide to that side. Once the ladder
starts to tilt there is no stopping it -- well, except for the floor.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* ClientSez: OK, I have a C: backsplash.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *
ameijers

"barry martin" wrote in message
news:1194067128.366.949.6727964.1826637013.RIMEGat ...
Arjay:

A I am going to paint my living room that has a 17 foot high ceiling. I
A must be able to reach the top because I need to fix popped nails, so
A stretching is not really an option.
A Would I be better off to buy a very tall ladder or rent scaffolding?
A I have to work alone, so I need what is easiest to use and is the
A safest.

Rent scaffolding. A ladder at that height (even half that height) is
unsafe because one is pretty much bound to stretch a little, cause the
ladder to become imbalanced and slide to that side. Once the ladder
starts to tilt there is no stopping it -- well, except for the floor.

What he said. And just as a side note, doing high work alone is a Bad Idea.
Other person doesn't have to be able to climb up there and help, they just
have to be able to call 911 if you fall or otherwise get in trouble. (Same
goes for working in a hole- you always want at least one man topside
monitoring things.) Isn't there anyone you can invite over to watch a movie
while you work, eat free pizza, etc?

(Yeah, I grew up on construction sites, and my father beat safety
precautions into us all- and this was before OSHA.)

aem sends....

Ladder or scaffold arjay Home Repair 5 September 2nd 04 05:34 AM
What length ladder and best place to buy them? David Hearn UK diy 14 January 13th 04 11:38 PM
Creating Ladder...suggestions? Jeb Sawyer Woodworking 5 September 8th 03 11:48 PM
Buying a ladder Mark Atherton UK diy 0 August 27th 03 06:13 PM