Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dimmer Switch: How to stop filament buzz?

I have a 100W globe style bulb attached to a simple 2-way dimmer. The thing
(the bulb) buzzes like crazy on anything other than full on and full off.
You can even see the filament flapping in the inert breeze.

Is there no way to fully remove this buzzing? I know a little about the
higher speed switching techniques involved, and I also know about the wave
deforming that some do. But is there not something foolproof? Seems like
something that should have been solved by now.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 4:42 pm, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:
I have a 100W globe style bulb attached to a simple 2-way dimmer. The thing
(the bulb) buzzes like crazy on anything other than full on and full off.
You can even see the filament flapping in the inert breeze.

Is there no way to fully remove this buzzing? I know a little about the
higher speed switching techniques involved, and I also know about the wave
deforming that some do. But is there not something foolproof? Seems like
something that should have been solved by now.

Thanks

Its the bulb, try different styles. A lower watt should buzz less.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:jX%Bi.1431$tB2.636@trndny05...

I have a 100W globe style bulb attached to a simple 2-way dimmer. The
thing (the bulb) buzzes like crazy on anything other than full on and full
off. You can even see the filament flapping in the inert breeze.

Is there no way to fully remove this buzzing? I know a little about the
higher speed switching techniques involved, and I also know about the wave
deforming that some do. But is there not something foolproof? Seems like
something that should have been solved by now.

Triac control circuits adjust the phase angle of conduction. You can get a
range of control from near zero to near 360 degrees (full power).

Flapping in the breeze is, I suppose, due to the magnetic fields
interacting.

Yes, they (triac controllers) can buzz.

Short story ... another dimmer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

. com wrote:
I have a 100W globe style bulb attached to a simple 2-way dimmer. The
thing
(the bulb) buzzes like crazy on anything other than full on and full off.
You can even see the filament flapping in the inert breeze.

Is there no way to fully remove this buzzing? I know a little about the
higher speed switching techniques involved, and I also know about the
wave
deforming that some do. But is there not something foolproof? Seems
like
something that should have been solved by now.

Thanks

Its the bulb, try different styles. A lower watt should buzz less.

I need a lot of light here, so I have it at 100W and it is *barely* enough,
in my opinion.

Further, some bulbs will be worse than others I'm sure, but I'm looking for
a solution that hopefully doesn't muck the waveform into something that
makes filaments want to flap around.

--
"I don't want FOP, God dammit! I'm a DAPPER DAN MAN!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles said something like:
[...]

Seems like either the controller or the controlled is gonna buzz when at 1/2
power.

Is there no way for these things to have a variable transformer that reduces
V amplitude while maintaining the waveform as a (roughly) 60 Hz sine? Or
would that buzz as well?

Curious...

--
"I don't want FOP, God dammit! I'm a DAPPER DAN MAN!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

. com wrote:
[...]

Blow The Style Police - put in a strip light - that will function!
Though you will see all the creases that age has brought on ... and the
faults in decorating the room!

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

We have found that Philips bulbs buzz less than most other brands such as GE
or Sylvania with the Leviton dimmers we use.

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:jX%Bi.1431$tB2.636@trndny05...

I have a 100W globe style bulb attached to a simple 2-way dimmer. The
thing (the bulb) buzzes like crazy on anything other than full on and full
off. You can even see the filament flapping in the inert breeze.

Is there no way to fully remove this buzzing? I know a little about the
higher speed switching techniques involved, and I also know about the wave
deforming that some do. But is there not something foolproof? Seems like
something that should have been solved by now.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Assuming you have a three way dimmer and a standard switch at the other end
and not two dimmers in series: I've found Lutron dimmers to be silent even
with problematic lamp types like "G" . If you haven't already, try a Diva or
Skylark

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:jX%Bi.1431$tB2.636@trndny05...

I have a 100W globe style bulb attached to a simple 2-way dimmer. The
thing (the bulb) buzzes like crazy on anything other than full on and full
off. You can even see the filament flapping in the inert breeze.

Is there no way to fully remove this buzzing? I know a little about the
higher speed switching techniques involved, and I also know about the wave
deforming that some do. But is there not something foolproof? Seems like
something that should have been solved by now.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Thomas G. Marshall . com:

Seems like either the controller or the controlled is gonna buzz when at 1/2
power.

Switching bulb styles and/or manufacturers, perhaps trying out a 100W rough
service bulb is a good first & cheap step. Get away from the ultra cheapies.

If the dimmer is an ultra cheapy, switching to a $20-$30 (I'm fond of Leviton and
Eagle sliders) unit will sometimes resolve a problem that switching bulbs won't.

Is there no way for these things to have a variable transformer that reduces
V amplitude while maintaining the waveform as a (roughly) 60 Hz sine? Or
would that buzz as well?

You don't want to know how big, heavy or expensive a 600W variac is.

They don't fit in a receptacle box.

And they make electrical noise as they get older.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try different type dimmer or another one,
some times triac can go bad and it will fire
only half of cycle or at 180 degree instead of 360
when that happens it can get very noisy specially
at minimal load, 100W at triac that can pas 3 amp.
is minimal, I would change dimmer.
Tony

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:jX%Bi.1431$tB2.636@trndny05...

I have a 100W globe style bulb attached to a simple 2-way dimmer. The
thing (the bulb) buzzes like crazy on anything other than full on and full
off. You can even see the filament flapping in the inert breeze.

Is there no way to fully remove this buzzing? I know a little about the
higher speed switching techniques involved, and I also know about the wave
deforming that some do. But is there not something foolproof? Seems like
something that should have been solved by now.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

. com wrote:
I have a 100W globe style bulb attached to a simple 2-way dimmer. The thing
(the bulb) buzzes like crazy on anything other than full on and full off.
You can even see the filament flapping in the inert breeze.

Is there no way to fully remove this buzzing? I know a little about the
higher speed switching techniques involved, and I also know about the wave
deforming that some do. But is there not something foolproof? Seems like
something that should have been solved by now.

Thanks

All dimmers work with a Triac that basically "chops" the flow of
electricity to a certain duty cycle giving a certain brightness. A
bulb with a heavy duty supported filament will help, like a fridge or
oven or fan bulb. I got some Chinese bulbs rated for 130 volts at the
dollar store, they glow more yellow than regular bulbs but have no
buzz and have lasted a long time. The decorative globe bulbs are
among the worst for filament rattle. They also make a dimmable CFL
bulb now too, but they only work for about 85% of your dimmers upper
range. You could also try a screw base halogen, they are dimmable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH said something like:

....[rip]...

All dimmers work with a Triac that basically "chops" the flow of
electricity to a certain duty cycle giving a certain brightness. A
bulb with a heavy duty supported filament will help, like a fridge or
oven or fan bulb. I got some Chinese bulbs rated for 130 volts at the
dollar store, they glow more yellow than regular bulbs but have no
buzz and have lasted a long time. The decorative globe bulbs are
among the worst for filament rattle. They also make a dimmable CFL
bulb now too, but they only work for about 85% of your dimmers upper
range. You could also try a screw base halogen, they are dimmable.

Ok guys, thanks. Asked and answered. Since what I want is the decorative
globe, I'm pulling out the dimmer and putting back in the regular switch.
Unfortunate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

I have a 100W globe style bulb attached to a simple 2-way dimmer. The thing
(the bulb) buzzes like crazy on anything other than full on and full off.
You can even see the filament flapping in the inert breeze.

Is there no way to fully remove this buzzing? I know a little about the
higher speed switching techniques involved, and I also know about the wave
deforming that some do. But is there not something foolproof? Seems like
something that should have been solved by now.

Thanks

Maybe a heavy duty bulb, which has additional filament supports in it,
would be quieter?

You could always add a bridge rectifier and filter cap to the dimmer's
output so the bulb runs on DC. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

What brand of bulb is it. We find that most brands will buzz, but Philips
bulbs don't, or at least not as much.

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

I have a 100W globe style bulb attached to a simple 2-way dimmer. The
thing (the bulb) buzzes like crazy on anything other than full on and
full off. You can even see the filament flapping in the inert breeze.

Is there no way to fully remove this buzzing? I know a little about the
higher speed switching techniques involved, and I also know about the
wave deforming that some do. But is there not something foolproof?
Seems like something that should have been solved by now.

Thanks

Maybe a heavy duty bulb, which has additional filament supports in it,
would be quieter?

You could always add a bridge rectifier and filter cap to the dimmer's
output so the bulb runs on DC. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a 100W globe style bulb attached to a simple 2-way dimmer.
The thing (the bulb) buzzes like crazy on anything other than full on
and full off. You can even see the filament flapping in the inert
breeze.

Maybe a heavy duty bulb, which has additional filament supports in it,
would be quieter?

I have three wall sconces in our living room that are on a remote control
dimmer. One of the bulbs is a standard 60W light bulb, the other two are
60W bulbs made for ceiling fans. I ran out of the ceiling fan bulbs when
one burned out, so I just screwed in a standard bulb. I prefer the ceiling
fan bulbs simply because they are smaller in size and don't stick down
below our light fixture. They cost slightly more, but they're generally
built stronger to endure the vibrations of a ceiling fan.

Anyway, the standard light bulb buzzes (rings) a lot, but neither of the
ceiling fan bulbs make a sound at dimmer settings. Might be worth trying a
ceiling fan bulb.

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

"HerHusband" wrote in message
[...]

As you have said, the buzzing/humming is due to the filament of the lamp
vibrating. So, any incandescent lamp with more filament supports will be
less noisy. Try lamps with different filament construction too; some are
noisier than others. Lamps with heavy thick filaments are less noisy than
lamps with thin light filaments.

The ultimate solution is to wire a "debuzzing coil" into the circuit or
replace the dimmer with one that has the coil built in. Most dimmer
manufacturers list debuzzing coils as accessories, but you'll probably have
to get them on line as I've never seen any in retail stores. Also, you will
need room in either the wall box where the dimmer is or the junction box
where the fixture is mounted to install the coil. Just wire the coil into
the circuit between the dimmer and the lamp in the black lead.

The coil is just an inductor which smoothes the edges of the sharp on/off
pulses which the dimmer sends to the lamp as the lamp is dimmed. Those
pulses set up reversing magnetic fields in the lamp support leads which
twist the filament 120 times a second. When the dimmer is full on, it sends
the normal smooth sine wave from the line to the lamp.

TKM

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Oct 6, 12:43*am, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
[...]

ISTR that maybe 30 years ago there were sold these little buttons that
you were supposed to stick on the bottom of your light bulbs to make
them last longer. they also made the bulbs a little dimmer. I don't
know if they just dropped the voltage or also rectified it. I was
just a little kid at the time so my memory is a little furry. I
couldnt find anything on a web search, anyone remember what I am
thinking of? (I don't know that they really did a whole heck of a
lot...)

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
[...]

Back in the 1980 I had a business partner who's
brother in law tried to get us to sell them for
him. It was a disk that dropped into a regular
Edison 120vac lamp socket. It was just a rectifier,
a simple rectifier that supplied pulsed DC to
the bulb. It was called a Power Saver and the bulb
did light up a bit dimmer.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

If a 100 watt bulb is necessary for sufficient light why have a
dimmer? Replace it with a regular switch!
Aternatively if the 100 is too bright put in a smaller bulb!
This is just another incompatibility of the variuos el-cheapo
electrical gadgets that are sold. For example most (cheap) dimmers
won't or shouldn't be used with the now much touted CFLs! Because they
are incompatible!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed 08 Oct 2008 07:41:40p, terry told us...

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
[...]

Any dimmer would be incompatible with an ordinary CFL unless it is a
*dimmable* CFL. There are distinct design differences in the balasts of
the two types of CFLs.

Many filaments will buzz depending on the percentage of dimming at any
given point. The more the light is dimmed, usually the more the filament
is more likely to buzz. If the OP normally dims the 100 watt bulb
significantly, then a reduction in wattage may change how much, if any, the
bulb will buzz. A change in type and/or quality of dimmer may make a
difference as well.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 10(X)/08(VIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 5dys 4hrs 5mins
All you have to do is say something
nobody understands and they'll do

Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
[...]

There were (are?) two types of socket "buttons". One type uses a diode; the
other a thermistor. The diode type cuts the power to the lamp by 1/2 which
translates to a light output reduction of 2/3. Lamp life is long to
indefinite. The lamp also flickers more and that bothers some people.

The thermistor button starts the lamp at a low voltage when the switch is
turned on. Then it ramps the voltage up relatively slowly which some say
lengthens lamp life. But there's also a few volts drop across the button so
the lamp doesn't see the full socket voltage and that lengthens lamp life
too. A problem, however, is the thermistor itself. It's a resistor and so
generates heat in the socket. Sockets are designed for heat from the lamp;
but may not be able to handle the extra heat from the resistor.

TKM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed 08 Oct 2008 08:15:36p, TKM told us...

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
[...]

I had some of these years ago, but I don't know which type. The only
problem I had was that by the time the bulb eventually did burn out, the
little button was also no good...would not work with another bulb.

The light was a bit dimmer, but that was one of things I wanted. I never
noticed if the socket was hotter with the button.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 10(X)/08(VIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 5dys 3hrs 13mins
Cats must pull the phone cord out of
the back of the modem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
[...]

I'm aware of that. In the TV repair business we used something
called a glowbar or globar, it was used in the picture tube
degaussing circuit often in pairs, one with a PTC the other
NTC. I have hard wired thermistors in series with lamp sockets
in the past and a regular light bulb seemed to last forever.
I really don't like putting things in the socket itself because
of, as you pointed, the heat. You can also buy industrial light
bulbs that are rated for 130 volts. The light output will be a
little lower than a household bulb but the lamps will last much
longer.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
TKM wrote:

There were (are?) two types of socket "buttons". One type uses a diode; the
other a thermistor. The diode type cuts the power to the lamp by 1/2 which
translates to a light output reduction of 2/3. Lamp life is long to
indefinite. The lamp also flickers more and that bothers some people.

It gets a little worse than that! That 2/3 light reduction is
accompanied by a power reduction of not 50%, but more like 41-42% because
the cooler filament has reduced resistance.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Klipstein wrote:

In article ,
TKM wrote:

There were (are?) two types of socket "buttons". One type uses a diode; the
other a thermistor. The diode type cuts the power to the lamp by 1/2 which
translates to a light output reduction of 2/3. Lamp life is long to
indefinite.

Hmm, I wonder what temperature the carbon filament in one of those 100+
year light bulbs is running at? G

http://www.centennialbulb.org/

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

The lamp also flickers more and that bothers some people.

It gets a little worse than that! That 2/3 light reduction is
accompanied by a power reduction of not 50%, but more like 41-42% because
the cooler filament has reduced resistance.

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

In communications,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Don Klipstein wrote:

In article ,
TKM wrote:

There were (are?) two types of socket "buttons". One type uses a diode;
the other a thermistor. The diode type cuts the power to the lamp by 1/2
which translates to a light output reduction of 2/3. Lamp life is long
to indefinite.

Hmm, I wonder what temperature the carbon filament in one of those 100+
year light bulbs is running at? G

http://www.centennialbulb.org/

Carbon filament?

The usual run-of-the-mill carbon filament 50 watt 120V incandescent had
a color temp. of 2080 K (I only found one source to cite) and an actual
temperature very close to the color temperature.

A carbon filament lamp with extraordinary life would have to have an
even lower temperature - and very low efficiency. A blackbody radiator at
2080 K has an overall luminous efficacy of 2.2 lumens/watt.

- Don Klipstein )