Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Dimmer Switch: How to stop filament buzz?

On Oct 8, 11:40*pm, The Daring Dufas wrote:
N8N wrote:
On Oct 6, 12:43 am, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
I have a 100W globe style bulb attached to a simple 2-way dimmer. *The thing
(the bulb) buzzes like crazy on anything other than full on and full off.
You can even see the filament flapping in the inert breeze.
Is there no way to fully remove this buzzing? *I know a little about the
higher speed switching techniques involved, and I also know about the wave
deforming that some do. *But is there not something foolproof? *Seems like
something that should have been solved by now.
Thanks
Maybe a heavy duty bulb, which has additional filament supports in it,
would be quieter?

You could always add a bridge rectifier and filter cap to the dimmer's
output so the bulb runs on DC. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

ISTR that maybe 30 years ago there were sold these little buttons that
you were supposed to stick on the bottom of your light bulbs to make
them last longer. *they also made the bulbs a little dimmer. *I don't
know if they just dropped the voltage or also rectified it. *I was
just a little kid at the time so my memory is a little furry. *I
couldnt find anything on a web search, anyone remember what I am
thinking of? *(I don't know that they really did a whole heck of a
lot...)

nate

Back in the 1980 I had a business partner who's
brother in law tried to get us to sell them for
him. It was a disk that dropped into a regular
Edison 120vac lamp socket. It was just a rectifier,
a simple rectifier that supplied pulsed DC to
the bulb. It was called a Power Saver and the bulb
did light up a bit dimmer.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

If a 100 watt bulb is necessary for sufficient light why have a
dimmer? Replace it with a regular switch!
Aternatively if the 100 is too bright put in a smaller bulb!
This is just another incompatibility of the variuos el-cheapo
electrical gadgets that are sold. For example most (cheap) dimmers
won't or shouldn't be used with the now much touted CFLs! Because they
are incompatible!