Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Dimmer Switch: How to stop filament buzz?

In communications,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Don Klipstein wrote:

In article ,
TKM wrote:

There were (are?) two types of socket "buttons". One type uses a diode;
the other a thermistor. The diode type cuts the power to the lamp by 1/2
which translates to a light output reduction of 2/3. Lamp life is long
to indefinite.

Hmm, I wonder what temperature the carbon filament in one of those 100+
year light bulbs is running at? G

http://www.centennialbulb.org/

Carbon filament?

The usual run-of-the-mill carbon filament 50 watt 120V incandescent had
a color temp. of 2080 K (I only found one source to cite) and an actual
temperature very close to the color temperature.

A carbon filament lamp with extraordinary life would have to have an
even lower temperature - and very low efficiency. A blackbody radiator at
2080 K has an overall luminous efficacy of 2.2 lumens/watt.

- Don Klipstein )