Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Dimmer Switch: How to stop filament buzz?

On Aug 31, 4:42 pm, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:
I have a 100W globe style bulb attached to a simple 2-way dimmer. The thing
(the bulb) buzzes like crazy on anything other than full on and full off.
You can even see the filament flapping in the inert breeze.

Is there no way to fully remove this buzzing? I know a little about the
higher speed switching techniques involved, and I also know about the wave
deforming that some do. But is there not something foolproof? Seems like
something that should have been solved by now.

Thanks

All dimmers work with a Triac that basically "chops" the flow of
electricity to a certain duty cycle giving a certain brightness. A
bulb with a heavy duty supported filament will help, like a fridge or
oven or fan bulb. I got some Chinese bulbs rated for 130 volts at the
dollar store, they glow more yellow than regular bulbs but have no
buzz and have lasted a long time. The decorative globe bulbs are
among the worst for filament rattle. They also make a dimmable CFL
bulb now too, but they only work for about 85% of your dimmers upper
range. You could also try a screw base halogen, they are dimmable.