Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Dimmer Switch: How to stop filament buzz?

We have found that Philips bulbs buzz less than most other brands such as GE
or Sylvania with the Leviton dimmers we use.

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:jX%Bi.1431$tB2.636@trndny05...

I have a 100W globe style bulb attached to a simple 2-way dimmer. The
thing (the bulb) buzzes like crazy on anything other than full on and full
off. You can even see the filament flapping in the inert breeze.

Is there no way to fully remove this buzzing? I know a little about the
higher speed switching techniques involved, and I also know about the wave
deforming that some do. But is there not something foolproof? Seems like
something that should have been solved by now.

Thanks